Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Old 12-21-2004, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

I was thinking about a .308, but I already have a 30-06 for the bigger animals I might someday hunt. My main thought on a .243 was that it was big enough for whitetails also. I'm finding it hard to justify spending $400-600 on a gun and then put a $400 scope to only use it about 5 times a year if I go with something lesser than a .243. The research I've done is stearing me towards a Savage. Plus, I have $550 in Cabelas points on my card so I could pickup a Savage and some ammo for nothing. Gotta love Cabelas!!

Prarie_Boy1,

I looked at those package deals and all of them(if I remember correctly) only offer a 3x9 scope combo. That's not enough scope (in my opinion) for the yote hunting I want to do. I want to get good glass.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because you already own the 30-06, IMHO that rules out the 25-06. Looks like the Savage chambered in 243 would be a good choice. You could get the Savage package deal & sell the scope on ebay? Good glass will cost you more than the rifle.
Good luck,

WK
Old 12-21-2004, 08:50 AM

How about an NEF Handi-Rifle? You can get them for around $200 and then have some $$ left over for a scope. I know that they come in .223 and .243, and maybe .22-250. If all you wanted was a varmit gun, that would save you a bit. Plus later on if you want you can send them in and have different barrels put on them.

That said, I wouldn't be disapointed with a Savage either.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Savage builds a very good rifle. I also am an NEF fan with five of them and another on the way. The NEF rifles tend to shoot light bullets best.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage guns are an outstanding value. Their accuracy is hard to beat by any factory rifle, and so is their value. Granted, they aren't pretty, but I don't typically carry artwork into the brush, I carry a hunting gun, my hammers and wrenches aren't gold plated either.

As far as buying the package guns goes, I'm up in the air about it. The scopes that come with them are turds. You get the same great rifle, and the rings are an extra value, but the scope isn't worth much, ESPECIALLY as a varmint scope. If you're only planning to use that scope until you can afford a better one, then go ahead and buy the package, but I'd compare how much you're really paying for that scope (i.e. how much would a naked rifle and rings cost), it's worth about $20 just because it took someone's TIME to put it together, it holds no real value for it's quality. Or, you can buy the package deal, and buy a better scope right off the bat and put the turd scope on your .22lr where it will do "well enough".

If you're really looking to save money, H&R 1871 or NEF single shot rifles can be had for under $200 in most calibers, if I recall correctly, I bought a heavy bbl .243 H&R for $188 last winter. They're incredibly accurate, and you'll get used to loading a single shot very quickly. They're really "handy" for carry (that's a pun, they're called the "Handi-rifle"), lightweight and compact, and just as deadly as a boltgun that weighs 50% more and is 8" longer.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta agree on the Savage. I love that accu-trigger. Cant go wrong with a Savage for the price and as Nomercy says...you dont carry a work of art into the woods. If function is all that matters you will be pleased with the Savage.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:40 PM

savages are some ugly but boy are they accurate
Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 PM

SAVAGES are knowfor three things, 1)great accuracy out of the box 2)affordability 3)ugly. they are probably the best rifel value out there today. get a package gun and dont look back.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:37 PM

Well fellas,

Just made the purchase. I got a Savage .270 WSM. Black synthetic stalk with a stainless barell. I put a Nikon Monarch 4-12AOx40mm scope on it. Now all I have to do is do a little research on ammo, sight it in and I'm ready to go. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That should be one sweet rig Stump...congrats and good luck!!

Quick Reply: Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.