Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which .40 Cal Rifle?

Old 12-12-2004, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Which .40 Cal Rifle?

IMHO, when one “kicks it up a notch” to DG hunting one has usually left the realm of easy recoiling, fun to shoot “gallery guns”, the bench rest world of “minutiae battles”, concerns over powder economy, and “my gun can beat your gun at 400 yards" long behind, and entered the arena of “can I ‘win’ if things get down and dirty?”. Along those lines my opine in regard to a few issues raised:

Does a gun that packs 75-85 pounds of recoil in a 10 pound rifle lead to high levels of accuracy?
Don’t think we’re hunting varmints here, don’t need “high” accuracy, need sufficient accuracy with “right now” killing power (Energy, TKO, Shock and Penetration under all conditions, not just selected ones). If a homo sapiens can “do it” in Africa, then homo sapiens (of a strong constitution) can “do it” in North America. I have faith that if the little guys in Zimbabwae can handle it, then one of our red blooded Americans can handle it too! [:@][:@] If one can’t handle 75-85 pounds of recoil, then there is just an outside chance that perhaps one shouldn’t be screwing around with 1000+ pounds of jaw snapping Brownie. [][]

Does a gun that is good for close range (possibly defense from bear or lion hellbent on having you for lunch) set up with no scope or a 1-4x scope, lead to precise shot placement at long range?
Alaska Magnum, you going to be shooting at these Brownies at a ¼ mile or something more like 200 yards max and 50 yards preferred? If the former, then nevermind me --- read somewhere else. If the latter, then IMHO a 1-4X scope (more likely 1.5-5 or 1.5-6) is more than enough to put the bullet in the proverbial 6" pie plate at 200 yards (or 20 yards). [Note: our snipers in WWII used 4X scopes.]

Is a setup for long range elk or plains game going to be efficient in the Alaskan or African bush?
The rifle that does ALL things under ALL conditions for ALL people is a myth. Once folks roll out of the “deer patch” and travel further and for bigger and/or more dangerous game in an away from home/remote hunt, then multiple rifles usually make the trip as the cost of the trip makes the cost of rifles pale by comparison plus hunters typically want capable backup rifles “just in case needed” and the ability to hunt different terrain on a given day. In any case, IMO one's mainstay rifle needs to be a tool proportionate to the size of the job --- Brownies (teeth and all) are a big job. Ray Atkinson, a respected trip broker over at www.accuratereloading.com recommends the 416RemMag for a “one gun” DG battery to Africa (I’d put Brownies in a similar category). In “Safari Rifles” by Craig Boddington he recommends a 338 and a 416 for a two gun battery feeling it is the most versatile for a combination plains game/DG hunt.
=================

Alaska Magnum, one thing that hasn’t been addressed is what will your friend be carrying? Is he is allowed to carry a weapon? If so, then IMHO this would impact your decision a lot. IMO, if he can carry a 45-70 Guide Gun and you a 375 H&H or 416, then that would be a hell of a “tag team.”

In closing, Alaska Magnum, I would recommend you post the same question over at www.accuratereloading.com under African Hunting (with the disclaimer "I know this isn't Africa, but please help"), and under the Alaskan Hunting section. The experience factor for actually having hunted DG is much more vast over there and the answers you'll get will be the "real deal".
Old 12-13-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Which .40 Cal Rifle?

Here's another link for infor. that may be of help to you.
The African Hunter forum.

Link: http://209.221.146.133/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi