Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My Barnes - X Experiences

Old 12-05-2004, 11:57 PM

Default My Barnes - X Experiences

I have shot three deer with my Abolt .270 Win useing federal loaded Barnes XLC- Xbulelt 130gr. and i have come to notice something about them. On every deer i have shot with them ( 2/3 dropd on the spot ) i have noticed the exit wound is very small. The one deer that did run didnt bleed at all and didnt leave a blood trail , but he didnt run far so i found him. The other 2 dropd on the spot but if they would have run, i dont think there would have been a blood trail. Anyone notice this too? Maybe these bullets r not using all its power or something on whitetail.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Barnes - X Experiences

I was considering using Barnes bullets, but I was always a little concern about these bullets and that they wouldn’t leave much of an exit wound. How does the bullet react if it doesn't hit any bone and will it expand enough to do damage was always something I was thinking about so I’ve hesitated in using these bullets. Last thing I need is to start to chase an animal in the bush even with a well placed shot. Thanks for posting the info.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my camp we use X bullets exclusively and have taken at least 20 whitetails over the last 7 seasons with them. The exit wound isn't huge as the mushroomed bullet cuts through the hide almost like a broadhead does. However, when you gut or skin these deer, you'll see that the damage on the indside is amazing. I always thought Nosler Partitions left small exit wounds but not too many people complain about their effectiveness on game. The deer will start to leave a blood trail after the chest cavity fill up with blood and it starts coming out the body. Your deer never made it that far.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

This Oct. I shot a big bull elk thru both shoulders at 60 yards with a 140XLC out of my 7mm-08. The bullet slammed thru the shoulders and left a quater sized exit hole. After shooting a whitetail buck end to end and getting the same results Ive come to the conclusion that these bullets are not designed for thin skinned and small boned animals such as deer. The elk dropped where he stood and the buck ran about 70 yards and required a second shot, didnt bleed all the much either.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

Thats a barnes for ya. Just the way it is. I have some nice loads for them for big game like moose. Won't use em on deer. Use Gamekings, and Bullistic Tips on deer. But do have interest in Accubonds for deer.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a year and a half old buck this year with my 300 WSM loaded with a 165gr XLC at 3100 fps. I shot it behind the sholder blade and about half way up through both lungs. He didn't bleed much because the hole was not in the bottom third of the deer. He went probably 50 yards and the exit hole was about 2 times the entry hole. I thought it worked very well on deer and my Ruger 77 will shot under 1" group with them also.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, imagine if you hit em with a accubond at 3100fps. That 3100fps helps the to do thier job.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

In my camp we use X bullets exclusively and have taken at least 20 whitetails over the last 7 seasons with them. The exit wound isn't huge as the mushroomed bullet cuts through the hide almost like a broadhead does. However, when you gut or skin these deer, you'll see that the damage on the indside is amazing. I always thought Nosler Partitions left small exit wounds but not too many people complain about their effectiveness on game. The deer will start to leave a blood trail after the chest cavity fill up with blood and it starts coming out the body. Your deer never made it that far.
You are correct. I did notice it did phenomenal internal damage.

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
bigcountry

I did notice it did phenomenal internal damage
I would say thats due to the hyrdrostatic shock of the thing not loosing any wieght and not slowing down near as much as say a bullistic tip.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I did notice it did phenomenal internal damage
I would say thats due to the hyrdrostatic shock of the thing not loosing any wieght and not slowing down near as much as say a bullistic tip.
only way i would use a bt is if it was bonded and prroved to not explode to quick and to stay together.

Quick Reply: My Barnes - X Experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.