Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A bolt Problem???

Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM
llw

Default Browning A bolt Problem???

I have a Browning 270 a-bolt from the late 80"s. I do not use it often as only when one of my sons do. I can not get the bolt back in. Over the years when cleaning it after hunting is over, I take out the bolt and clean it up and have always pushed the safety tab in and turned the bolt while it is out and then it will not go back in until I fiddle with it somehow and some spring or something releases and then it slides back in perfectly.
Looks like I would remember how it is done, but i'm over 50.

Someone please tell me how to align the locking bolts and take the put the safety back on with the bolt in hand so I can insert it back.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Browning A bolt Problem???

Hi

I think I've experienced this just once.
You may have to have someone hold the bolt real solid or maybe put a cloth around it and use a vice. Anyway, what you need to do is to push back the cocked indicator. It is under spring pressure as it moves with the firing pin so there is a internal spring you are pushing against.
It doesn't take long to do, just push the cocked indicator back and then the front portion of the bolt will be able to rotate.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
llw

you're on track....that is how I remember fixing it before ...but I do not remember it needing force,, strength to do...just the right move......have not gotten it back in yet....maybe someone that faces the same problem everyday.....could help
Old 12-03-2004, 11:46 AM
llw

93 glide..thanks for the reply.... hey..I got an good idea...take your a-bolt out.....push the safety tab in ....and them tell me how you exactly released it....lol...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:44 PM

i've had same problem, but only once. honestly can not remember what i did, it just slid bk into place. I've had my browning for 3 yrs now, unfortunatly this isnt any help though. I turned the bolt and it just went bk into place. srry this isnt much/or any help.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

The A-bolt has three locking lugs and a bolt sleeve that also has "ridges" or "guides" that slide through the receiver and line up with the back of the lugs. The sleeve will rotate freely around the bolt body. Line up the sleeve with the lugs and it should slide right in.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
llw

You're exactly right. the sleeve, ridges, locking lugs, and aligning them to go back in. However, if you push in the red safety tab at the end of the bolt, with the bolt extracted in your hand, the bolt turns to an angle that no matter how you line up the above ,it is off angle and can not be put back in until it is somehow released that allows the safety tab to come back out . Any one no how to do it?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had that problem once but it finally slid back in. Mine is not here right now as I left it for a friend of mine to do a trigger job on it. If it was here I might be able to help. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

LLW you have to grab the front of the bolt handle and rotate the shroud so the firing pin retainer is resting in its notch. Get a good shop rag because it can be tough to turn . Once this is done align the bolt and bolt guide as BigBulls described and it should go right in. Hope that helps.