Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NJ Farm Hunting - Slugs or Buckshot?

Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 AM

Default NJ Farm Hunting - Slugs or Buckshot?

Long story, short... the farmer's wife went to high school with my mom. They are friends.

Anyway...this will be my first year hunting on the farm. The area where I am allowed to hunt is fields, and fields, and fields or corn, wheat, and soybean. The fields have thick hedge rows as the only cover (besides in between the houses).

Anyway... I am positioned in an evergreen tree in a hedge row.

Should I use slugs or buckshot? Won't the deer most likely be running across the field from one hedge row to the next? If so, I should use buckshot and shoot 'em like rabbits, right?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:11 AM

Default RE: NJ Farm Hunting - Slugs or Buckshot?

if they are going to be crossing fields then use slugs , you wont be very accurate past 40yds with the buckshot.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

slugs all the way
Old 11-30-2004, 08:52 AM

SLUGS! Forget the buckshot for deer - it's just a crippler more often than not, and isn't
much good past 30yds even with 00. Use slugs, and get that gun sighted in with 'em.
With a good rifled slug barrel you can maybe take deer out to 100yds.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
bigcountry

I started using buckshot when I moved to MD and hunted Sika Deer on the Eastern shore. I won't use em again. I had to shoot the deer three shots to get him to go down before entering a place where water is deep with tall reeds. That was 8 years ago. Since then I have only used slugs, and have took them up to 100 yards (couldn't attemp with buckshot), and when properly placed, the sika doesn't go far. Also with buckshot, you might be jump hunting and usually hit something you don't want to hit, like your backstraps, or hinds.