Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

375 JDJ

Old 11-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default 375 JDJ

Does anyone here shoot the 375 JDJ? I am thinking of adding that barrel to my G2 contender carbine. It is a hunt everything caliber and Jones took 19 elephants with it during its development. It has take all the game animals on earth since its introduction. It makes a good deer round as well loaded with the 200 or 220 grain Hornady flat point. I have found data for reloading the contender handgun but no velocity data for the 23 inch carbine barrel. Any info out there about this cartridge? I believe its a necked down 444 Marlin case.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:01 AM

Default RE: 375 JDJ

It is a neck downed .444 marlin. Guns and Ammo did a review on the G2. They said ammo for the rifle was going to be 2500 fps. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_g...tender_062404/
Old 11-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very good artical. Thanks for posting it. I have been into the contender for may years. Its a great big game getter. Most of the big game that I have taken, Elk and Deer, has been with the 14 inch 35 Remington barrel which I have been able to load up to nearly the same velocity as the 35 Remington in the Marlin rifle. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:53 PM

Aw com' on, how about 2500 fps with 300 grainers....

EKM
Old 11-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not found to much loading data so far. I know some are loading the 270 grain spire point. Right off hand I don't know what the capacity in grains that the 444 case will hold. I do know that in the handgun, the recoil is healthy. The carbine makes for a very light to carry compact rifle. I have the 45-70 barrel (23"). On it now. Most reccomend trap door level loads in the G2. However a rep. at Nosler said they load it to Marlin levels. In a five and a half pound rifle, thats strong enough as are the trap door loads. Anyway I think its going to be a fun project during the off season. Thanks for the reply's.