Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about removing 3 shot plug

Old 11-23-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Question about removing 3 shot plug

I have a Winchester model 120, and am thinking of removing the three shot plug, so I can load more shells. I understand the migratory bird limitations, but I am going to be shooting skeet. Will this adversley affect my gun in any way??

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Question about removing 3 shot plug

if your shooting skeet at a range , you can only load two shells in a pump. If you walk up and put 3 shells in all your gonna do is scare people. All of the organized skeet ranges I've been to only allow two loaded shells , since only 2 clays are coming out at a station. The logic behind the 2 shell max is , if your shooting at two clays , you might forget that the 3rd shell is there and accidently injure yourself of som1 at the range. No reason to remove the plug.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're shooting "skeet", instead of shooting skeet, then I'd take it out...meaning if you're just going out behind the woodshed and your buddy and you take turns kicking clays for eachother, then take it out. BUT, if you're playing an official game, it's irrelevant, because you can't even load three, let alone more than that...I personally have changed my springs and replaced my plugs to make sure I COULDN'T load more than two in my skeet guns...then I upgraded to a SxS (don't like O/U's much) and it really became a moot point.

To answer your question in general, No, it won't effect your gun, unless your 120 is pretty old and has been used a lot, or left loaded for extended periods of time...the only mal-effect then is that the spring might be aged into it's state of compression, ie. when you take out the plug, you don't get positive feeding on the last few rounds, since the spring is "worn out". It'll feed fine for the first few rounds, since it would be as if the plug was replaced by shells, but after that it might not feed well...

But that is an extreme case, and not very likely with a gun as young as the 120 (or 1200).

It's easily fixed by calling Numerich or Brownells (or your local gunsmith) and buying a replacement spring for the 120, 1200, 1400, or 1300, as I'm pretty certain they all use the same mag tube/spring..probably cost you more to get it shipped than the spring costs.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info. The skeet I'd be shooting would just be with a friend, but I understand why loading more shells wouldn't serve a purpose, so I intend to leave the plug in.

Another question. I've heard quite a bit about chokes, from what i can tell my 120 doesn't have a choke, but the tip, at the top does say MOD. (does this mean it's a modified choke)???

Finally, is there any time of ammo I can't use in this gun? I understand i need to keep it between 2 3/4 & 3" due to the barrel, but I mean any type of shot that may damage the gun. I've heard some people say that older guns could have problems like that, but from the earlier post I'd assume this gun is newer (any idea how old)

Final question, I promise, is the model 120 essentially the same as the model 1200? The reason I ask is I can download the owners manual off the winchester website.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:11 AM

if your just shooting skeet use #7's or 8's .....hunting birds I use #6's.

Finally, is there any time of ammo I can't use in this gun? I understand i need to keep it between 2 3/4 & 3"
Might only take 2 3/4 , I have an older model 12 winchester and it's only chambered for 2 3/4. And yes the M on the barrel is for modified. If its an older gun , it wont take "screw" in choke tubes. Modified is fine for clays & hunting.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Older guns aren't to be used with steel shot because they've got "soft" bbls, so shooting steel shot can damage the bore...(although I'd contest that steel shot with a good shot cup shouldn't be a problem)....I'm not certain how old the 120 is, but I wouldn't think that it's old enough to be problematic...I'd ask a local gunsmith to find out for sure, or email Winchester's customer service dept.

So, if you're planning to use this gun for Ducks/geese over water, you'll have to either buy a new gun, or use non-steel non-toxic alternative shot...Tungsten for example.

Since this is a "skeet gun", it won't be a problem.

If your gun says it's a 3" chamber (I doubt it), then 2 3/4" and 3" are acceptable, if it's 2 3/4" marked, then it'll only take 2 3/4" shells.

You won't likely WANT to shoot 3" shells for skeet, unless you're just wanting a higher shot count, I've always used 2 3/4" for the lighter recoil.

Your gun DOES have a choke, MOD does mean it is modified....It does NOT have SCREW IN chokes apparently...If you really want them, a gunsmith should be able to thread the bbl and sell you a screw in choke system, but it's putting more money into the gun than it's worth.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:11 PM

I don't think the 120 is that old of a gun, but I will email or call Winchester to find out about the steel shot to be on the safe side.

The barrel says 2 3/4 & 3" so I assume that it will take both 2 3/4" & 3"....along with that, when would a 3" be better than a 2 3/4" in terms of hunting??

The gun will be used for skeet, but also for hunting at some point. The skeet just to improve my aim for the later.

Ok, I understand that the barrel has a MOD choke, but exactly what does that mean? Do i assume this means that the spread will be tigher?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this gun, and well....a shotgun in general is new to me, so this is helping tremendously. I want to learn as much as I can before I go shoot it.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 PM

Chokes :

Full

Modified

Improved

So your in the middle ....not the tightest , not the most spread out
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM

Well, I called Winchester, and here is what I was told:

The 120 is the same as the 1200 and can take both 3" and 2 3/4" shells.

I was told that if the barrel does not have the capability to have screw in chokes, then steel shot should not be used. Mine does not, so Steel will be out.....but I assume I could still purchase a newer barrel for this gun???? The only reason is steel shot appears to be so much cheaper.

Thank for all your help.