Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300+ yard Rifle which one?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300+ yard Rifle which one?

I would go with a 300 Wby. Mag., or the 300 RUM (if you handload). Good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

MC, What kind of game are you shooting at 300+ yards? Getting the bullet out that far accurately is one thing having enough bullet to drop the game is another. For a scope, I would suggest a variable from 6 x 20. Even a bear at that range is a mighty small target.
Good Hunting...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM

Well, when it comes to "having enough bullet to drop the game" we need to look at the physics of what really kills the animal so we can quantify this. In this case I believe that deer is the game in question. The energy transferred to the animal is what kills it. To illustrate this lets look at two identically weighted bullets traveling at the same velocity there by having the same kinetic energy. One bullet is a solid Full Metal Jacket, the other is of a design that will mushroom. I think everyone will agree that the mushrooming bullet will be more likely to kill the animal. Why? If you look at ballistic gelatin results of the two bullets in question you’ll find that the mushrooming bullet transferred more energy into the gel quicker that the FMJ bullet. The mushroom bullet will leave a much larger cavity (sometimes as large as a grapefruit) than the FMJ. This more rapid energy transfer translates into more internal injury to vital organs.

Now, that being established we need to look at how much energy it takes to reliably take a deer. I’ve found no scientific data on this subject, but after looking at what people use to take deer and at what ranges it’s my opinion that 1000 to 1200 ft/lbs of energy is sufficient to kill a deer effectively and ethically provided that most of that energy is transferred to the chest cavity.

If you take the .30-06 into consideration shooting Remington CoreLokt 150gr ammo, the bullet drops to 1200 ft/lbs of energy at approximately 385 yards and drops to 1000 ft/lbs of energy at approximately 460 yards. (I used Rem-Shoot to get this data. Rem-Shoot can be down loaded for free from www.remington.com .)

So, using the .30-06 as an example and not taking into account bullet drop or wind drift considerations, I would use it for 300 to 400 yard shots but not 500 yard shots. Of course you have to take these other things into consideration but I just wanted to impart my logic and my opinion into this aspect of cartridge choice at given ranges.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend a Weatherby Accumark with a 26 inch bbl. in any of the 7MM Mag. either Remington, Weatherby or STW.

This Rifle in this calibers can easily handle a 400+ yard shot (The thing here is the variable that comes after the recoil pad......that means you!)

If you are a proficient marksman you can obtain very satisfactory results with this calibers.

You can top the rifel with a Zeiss Conauqest in 6.5-20 x 50 in order to better obtain your target (as someone say before, at that distance even a bear is a small target).

Good Luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Hell just go with a rifle and calibur that will leave no doubt= .50cal BMG
Old 11-16-2004, 04:05 PM

I cant believe that I forgot about the STW, especially since I plan to have an Encore with a custom 7mmSTW barrel in the next few years. As they have said above, you need A LOT of practice at long range before you attempt it on an animal, as you owe it to the animal to make a swift, clean kill so that no suffering is involved. If you're doing any serious longrange shooting, 500+, then a 300 will better suit you than one of the 7mm's (providing you use 180 or 200gr bullets) because the bigger, heavier bullet wont be pushed around as much in the wind.

About the 30-06 as a long-range gun, if you're going to shoot this caliber for long range, and have the opportunity to shoot shortrange with it from your stand or however you hunt, you're probably going to need a scope that has a ballistic plex (like Burris) or the B&C reticle (Leupold) because of the trajectory of this caliber. This is why I would try to stick to the magnums in this case, because these scopes are quite expensive, and theres not really any need in it providing you can handle the recoil of one of the magnums.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 PM

hey timba i gotta sendero sf in 300 win mag, its a light kicking gun but it weighs alot but i dont care about the weight to much, mostly hunt outta blinds, great gun
Old 11-17-2004, 09:10 PM

I'd love a Sendero SF, very nice guns, but I have no real need for one (though that's never stopped me from purchasing things before) but as I stated, my next rifle will be an Encore, there are so many calibers that I want to try, this will be my cheapest option

Note: PaJack- if you see this, I tried to PM you back, but it said you werent accepting them