Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rust help !!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rust help !!!!!!!!!

I have a 7600 Remington Game Master my fater bought me 20 years ago.The other day I went to go on a hunting trip and I was going to bring as a back up rifle,I opened the gun case and just about bald the gun was covered in rust.It was only in the case for about a week and a half.

It is the worst case I have ever seen,the blueing is coming off,is there anything I can do?Can a gun smith help or fix?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rust help !!!!!!!!!

Sounds like time for a re-blue. I doubt if there is anything short of a buff and blue that will make you happy.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would try wiping it with some gun oil and a rag to remove as much rust as possible. Any areas the rust remains take some fine steel wool and gun oil, in a circular motion to prevent pitting. I have also heard Alum Foil in a ball works well, so might want to give that a try. Then wipe down again and fiish with a light coat of oil. The rifle could be used this way, just make sure to wipe it down and re-apply oil often (especially in wet conditions).

The best thing to bring back the rifle is a re-blue by a gunsmith. Suprisingly they aren't real harsh on the pocket book but you may have to wait as they tend to them in batches and in the off season.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 AM

dont store guns in their cases. Learned the hard way when I had the same thing happen. The moisture in the cases will rust the gun. You can get one of those little packets to put in the case if need be. I came into 5 shotguns recently and keep them all in a closet that I made into a gun safe.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use 000 or 0000 steel wool with some light gun oil. I've had good luck with this method on some old guns with light to medium surface rust.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: AJ52

Use 000 or 0000 steel wool with some light gun oil. I've had good luck with this method on some old guns with light to medium surface rust.
I agree with AJ52 its either that or take it to a gun smith, myself if the gun is special I would definately take it to a smith.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: slugman
dont store guns in their cases. Learned the hard way when I had the same thing happen. The moisture in the cases will rust the gun.
....especially, if you have a Remington 870 Express! [:'(] I left my beautiful, mint condition, 870 12GA in its case in the closet for about a week or so one time. Out of curiosity, I got it back out and checked it over. It was fine, but was just barely, microscopically, just starting to develop surface rust and tarnish! I immediately wiped it down with a silicone rag and then rubbed it down again with a tiny amount of gun oil.

Never again will I leave my guns in their cases!

Butch A.