Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope Mount Issue/Question

Old 11-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope Mount Issue/Question

I was helping my cousin mount a Brand new Leupold VarXIII 3.5-10 x 50 on a Rem 700 ADL in 30-06. We used Leupold base and Leupold rings. We ended up mounting it three times and I confirmed that the rings and the base we are using are the correct ones for the gun/scope set up.

The Problem: The rifle is shooting 6" high at 25 yards and there are no more clicks left in the scope to bring it down. Also it seems that when I turn the dial on the scope in the "U" direction the cross hairs come down as opposed to going up.

Any body know what is going on here.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Scope Mount Issue/Question

ORIGINAL: statjunk
I was helping my cousin mount a Brand new Leupold VarXIII 3.5-10 x 50 on a Rem 700 ADL in 30-06. We used Leupold base and Leupold rings. We ended up mounting it three times and I confirmed that the rings and the base we are using are the correct ones for the gun/scope set up.
The Problem: The rifle is shooting 6" high at 25 yards and there are no more clicks left in the scope to bring it down. Also it seems that when I turn the dial on the scope in the "U" direction the cross hairs come down as opposed to going up.
Any body know what is going on here. Thanks Tom
Tom,
Not sure without seeing it, but a couple possibilities come to mind. First, are you sure
you have the correct rings? Second, package for rings could have been mismarked.
Third, incorrect mounting. As to the up/down indicator, last time I ran into that problem was many years ago on a Redfield scope - but as noted, many years ago. It does happen though, and just so happens that Leupold has a product announcement on their website ref. the dial indicators.

Anycase, I am posting links for you here to Leupold website for both the product announcement, and for the mount/ring selector page. Suggest you do a double check
on the mount/rings selector. May want to contact Leupold - they stand behind their stuff.

Links: http://www.leupold.com/VX-III_Adjustment_Dials.htm

http://www.leupold.com/resources/Mou...rt/default.asp

Good luck.

ps: If in a hurry, may want to take gun/scope back to dealer, and have them try mounting the scope, and boresighting it for you. When boresighting, any problem should show up right away.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:22 PM

The leupold has a shorter tube than most. Are you sure your scope (a) is not making contact from the front bell on the ring, or (b) is not hitting the reciever/barrel? If your front bell is hitting the ring, it may not be properly closed. And if the scope is touching, you've got more issues. Good luck getting it straightened out.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I called Leupold and got the answer. The alignment between the barrel and the action is off. I forgot to mention that this gun is fitted with a muzzle brake. I believe this was done after the fact. So I am quessing when they put the gun back together that they didn't do it right.

Leupold told me that three shims under the front base and I am good to go. They sent them out yesterday.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

When you are making adjustment to a scope the crosshairs will move in the reverse direction you are dialing the adjustments. Such as when you move the dial up and the crosshairs move down. This is how they are supposed to work. You did the right thing by contacting Leupold. Shimming the base will correct the problem you have. This is needed more often than most people think. Good luck and your scope choice was a good one. I have had a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X50AO for over ten years. In that time I have had no change of zero.