Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which do you prefer?

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Which do you prefer?

I am faced with a problem,I have a T/C Omega that I bought in the spring and I want to use for deer season.My father wants me to use my Remington 1100 because he says there will be alot of deer coming out and running around as there will be guys driving the area.Which would you guys use?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which do you prefer?

you've left out some important points here. what type of land are you hunting? How long are the shots you could be taking? If you're shooting a correct load for your Omega, its going to be much more accurate at longer ranges. But if the shots will be fairly close, the 1100 may be the way to go if you need a follow up shot. I shoot single-shot firearms and firmly believe in one-shot, one-kill. But in the end, it'll be YOU that makes the final decision on what you use, not your dad. Go with whichever you feel the most confident with. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:48 AM

I use a muzzle loader during rifle season myself. Remington 700ML with 95 grn of 777 and a 350 grn Precision Bullet. If it's within 150 yards it's going to get an ouchy.

Keep in mind hornady make a 300 grn XTP load for shotguns now that prettty much rivals the ballistics of an inline muzzle loader. They are not very cheap though.

For close up fast shots however you just can't beat a 12 guage slug.

I agree with the above, unless you are shooting dangerouse game I think one shot is plenty usually. You don't want to be the guy that empties the magazine at an animal on the run and never knows if he hit anything or not. Pick your shot and take, if you don't have time, don't take it.

Just my opinion any way.

Paul
Old 11-06-2004, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys,I will be sighting them both in this week and I will definately do some hunting with the Omega,just might not be on opening day when the guys will have a drive on,but for longer shots after opening day,I think the Omega is the way to go.