Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs with smooth bore

Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Slugs with smooth bore

I would love to follow the advice on a cheap red dot and rings/base. Except, I need more detail!! What is the cheap red dot, the front site? What do rings and a base give me? Do they mount on my existing barrel? Does that give you an adjustable rear sight?

I took a quick look at Walmart online and it doesn't show rings and a base for Winchester ...

Sorry I sound uninformed, but that's why I am here!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:53 AM

What do rings and a base give me? Do they mount on my existing barrel? Does that give you an adjustable rear sight?
Red dot is a scope that uses a red dot instead of cross hairs. Rings and a base will give a you a place to mount the scope. Then you can adjust the scope , not just slide the sights back & forth. Check cabela's or basspro
Old 11-08-2004, 10:18 AM

Any chance a scope off an old .22 will mount in the rings, or is a rifle scope totally different than one I would need for a shotgun (i.e., can't put the scope as close to your eye maybe)? Or, maybe the mounts ar not standard thus it just won't mount ...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 AM

you'll need alot more eye relief with slugs than you do with a .22 , at least 3.5 inches. Plus the mounts wont work either.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Slugman....

You need a scope meant for a shotgun. The eye relief (distance from your eye to the rim of the scope) is needed specifically for a shotgun scope, so you don't get biffed and cut open by the end of the scope hitting your eyebrow/forehead.

Trust me.... Shooting a slug from a shotgun? Hold on tight.... The roar and kick from a slug, if not ready for it, will "spin you around, flip you around, and darn near put you on your a$$!!"

Butch A.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM

Termiflyer,

Be careful what type of scope you put on your shotgun. Like Butcha says, you need to make sure any scope can withstand the punishment of a shotgun. I have blown up a few "experimental" cheap scopes (experimenting that they will in fact work), and one red dot. Not an economical solution.

Speaking of economics, I retired my rifled barrel this season on a whim, and went back to a smoothbore barrel that has rifle sights that I picked up for $50 used at a gunshop. I bought several boxes of $1.99 slugs and went out back to shoot. The results at a measured 50 yards were as follows: 1.5" inch 3 shot group with Winchester Super X that was +3" above POA and at 1 o'clock; 2" 3 shot group with Remington Sluggers that was 1.88" above POA at 12 o'clock; and 2.25" 3 shot group with Federal Classics that was 2.5" above POA at 12 o'clock. My point here is that I got as good or better with my smoothbore than I did with a rifled barrel and red dot, at a much better price. My only sacrifice is of course about 40 yards of effective range, which doesn't matter to me.

My point to you is that is that your current set up could work for you without buying a lot of stuff. One thing you might try to get better accuracy is to check out how your stock fits you. I too shot high groups until I added a $15 comb /cheekpad that better aligns my shooting eye with my iron sights. Before my purchase I experimented with a hand towel and duct tape (be careful of the finish on your stock).

One more thing I've found over the years: some slugs shoot better from a dirty barrel. After 20 years in the Army it kills me to do it, but once I get my groups where I want them, I don't scrub the fouling out of my barrel like I want to. Come December, the guns get scrubbed good.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot federal slugs out of a Mossberg with 28" modified for years. That barrel just loved Fed slugs. Could knock down a gallon jug at about 80 yrds, every shot.

You can also buy sights that will clamp to a vent rib if you have one.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:22 AM

your current set up could work for you without buying a lot of stuff
dogbreath -

That is definitely my goal and thanks for the advice. I am certainly very happy with the way my smooth bore is grouping, and am not concerned at all about not having a rifled barrel now. My only concern now is bringing the group down. I am not sure if I can bring it down any further with adjustments at the stock/shoulder. By the end of my targetting the other day, I was using a pillow because my shoulder was sore ... this was probably simulating your comb /cheekpad.

I think that rifle sights are good enough to get good groups out at 50 yards. The problem is finding sights that I can adjust the point of impact down further than what I have now.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:00 PM

In searching for a base, it looks like there are two common types: Weaver style and dovetail. Any suggestions as to which one is better (better in this case probably means availability of attachments, response to recoil, reliability/strength of attaching ... just guessing here)?