Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs with smooth bore

Old 11-02-2004, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Slugs with smooth bore

Oh, slugman, I was just giving you a hard time cause you really like your H&R.
Not a problem. I'm officially a convert ...Dont even take my rifles to PA anymore.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The front bead sight is really a minus as it just doesn't give an accurate point of aim, just like a general area that is much too large (for me). Why not look for something in between a fully rifled barrel and a smooth bore? A shorter smooth bore barrel with adjustable rifled sights like were so popular with all the deer combos offered in "years past".

Course you can pick up an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter for like $190 in 20 ga.. I did for my oldest son, it's like a little brother to my 12 Deluxe.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 11-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Get front and rear sights that mount on the vent rib like some turkey sights to improve your sighting. Then try different rifled slugs to find what works with your combination. Every gun is different but at $2-3 a box experimenting isn't very expensive. I agree with others that 3" slugs are a waste to even try. With a little shooting you should be able to find a slug that wil deliver 2" gropus at 50 yds.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I also agree that 3inch are a waste of time a few years ago I was under the impression that bigger is better , till i shot them I could get a good group out of the 3 inch no matter which brand i tried 2 3/4 grouped much better
Old 11-07-2004, 05:55 PM

Well, I went out and got myself of front and rear rifle sights that mount on my ventilated rib smooth bore. I was able to group my shots really well, with an improved cylinder choke, out to 50 yards!

That's the good news. The bad news is, I was 12 inches high. After messing with the sights (raising the front sight, and lowering the rear sight), I am still shooting 8-10 inches high. I can't move the adjustable rear sight and lower, and I already added about a sixteenth of inch of heigtht to the front, even though it isn't adjustable (I used 4 little pieces of rubber that came with the tru-glow sights to add height to the front).

I think I am going to have to try different sights. If you have some suggestions I would really appreciate it!!

By the way, I tried Winchester Super-X (2 3/4 - 1 oz), and Remington Sluggers (2 3/4 - 7/8 ox high velocity). They both worked really well. The Winchesters went a little left, but nothing a scope adjustment couldn't help. But they both grouped well.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct. You do need a higher front/lower rear to correct this problem. You may be able to slide the sights along the rib to make this happen. If not, here is something that may work.

Find out what velocity those slugs are, and shoot a faster slug. Under recoil, the muzzle jumps upward. The slug leaves the barrel while the muzzle is jumping. A slower slug leaves later (usually higher in the jump) than a faster one. So at close range, you can see a higher POI with a lower velocity load.

My Mossberg 500 with open sights shoots most 3" slug loads about 6" low at 50. Shoots dead on with 2 3/4 loads.

If this doesn't work, you do need to do something to change your sights. Try a higher shim for the front.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 AM

I can't move the adjustable rear sight
If its adjustable why cant you move it ? If you hitting low , the rear sight needs to be moved back towards the stock. With my H&R , I'm 3" high at 50yds and dead on at 100. Check the ballistics of the slugs , most "juiced" slugs are high at 50yds and level off around 100. Buy a slug with a slower FPS if you plan on shooting less than 75 yds.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its a ventilated rib (which you say it is) move the sights until you shoot properly.

Slide the rear one forward and the front backward until you can shoot where you're aiming.

I've seen older shotguns where the sights are only 6 inches apart, somewhere near the middle of the barrel.

Just an afterthought, but if you can't figure it out, go to walmart and spend $30 on a cheap red-dot and spend another $25 on rings and a base. For under $60, your problem will be solved.

PS> Remove that rubber and just slide the sights until you group consistently near your point of aim. Being 2-3 inches high at 50 yards is OK---at least for me---as long as it is consistent. That rubber may/will deteriorate, stretch, or shift with the recoil, and then your entire sighting system will go to crap.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 AM

I am grouping about 8-12" high. Are you saying that if I move the front sight toward the stock, and the rear sight away from the stock, the impact point will move down? I wasn't aware of this type of adjustment (shows you I'm a newbie). Yes, I do have a ventilated rib so I could do this.

UncleNorby - I was using 1800 fps Remington Sluggers high velocity ... I don't know if I can get much faster than that! My shoulder is killing me today ... I never shot that many slugs at once.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:21 AM

move the rear sight back towards the stock and the front stays. By moving the rear back the POI should move up.

go to walmart and spend $30 on a cheap red-dot and spend another $25 on rings and a base
Sounds like a plan !

Quick Reply: Slugs with smooth bore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.