Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting Reloads done

Old 10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting Reloads done

I'm going to see a guy to do some reloads for my 300 Win Mag. Of course, most of my shooting will be at the range but I'm looking for an accurate deer load as well. I'm not sure which bullets to go with. I've used 150gr Nosler Partitions in the past but I was thinking of trying something else just for variety.

I was thinking of the 180gr Remington Core Lokt round nose bullets cause they seem like an ideal whitetail bullet at any distance. I'd be giving up some muzzle velocity over the 150gr spitzer but I'm not interested in long shots anyway. Would these perform well at the range? Sub 1/2" groups are not unusual for my Sako 75 so I don't want to sacrifice accuracy too much.

The reason I'm thinking of switching from the Partitions is that I've never had an exit wound with them. I know that's kind of unusual but they just seem to do their damage and disintegrate. That actually cause some tracking problems one year and the shot was broadside and only 40yds. I thought a heavier bullet would help since shooting 250-300 pound animals is not unusual here in SK.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting Reloads done

mistah, I am not sure where you aim and what you usually find your yardages to be on shots. I use 150 gr NBT out of my 7rem mag and have used them out of several other guns as well. As a rib shooter or prefered a quarter through rib and out opposite shoulder on a buck they have never left me sorry for choosing them. I have had one bullet in a lot of deer or lopes not exit and that was purely shooter error hitting flush on the exposed shoulder. Now I will say most of my shots have been over 100 but I have taken a few at close range (well under 100) and while the damage is much larger they had 2 large holes in them. Tracks have been nill to a max of 50 yards and blood trail was "TICK". So if you usually shot 100 + yards and aim for ribs then the NBT might be of interest. I would probably look at 165 -180 grain for the 300 winnie with NBT.

If you aim bone or shoot often under 100 yards then I would stick with a solid bullet like the NP and just up the grain size a bit or have your reloader back off on the heat of the load. You could consider others as well like bonded bullets Accubond(nosler) or Interbond (hornady). A host of others like the TBBC, Speers Grand Slam, A Frame, Failsafes would also work for busting bone at closer ranges in the premium.

Now if you are thinking corelokt I would personally try the Hornady Interlock Spire Points first, they are an excellent deer bullet and I have also found them to be happy in most bores. Again those close ranges norms I'd opt for a bit larger grain size but it is your choice. I know many fancy the corelokt but I have never been to impressed with them especially when driven at higher velocity.

Best of luck in finding the right bullet and get the big one!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting Reloads done

Hey Skeeter, thanks for the feedback. I went in to see him this morning and we decided that rather than loading a bunch of different loads with the same bullet we'd try 5 different bullets. We definitely went on the heavy side cause I wanted to try Elk/Moose loads out at the range and see what kind of groups I'd get (even though I'll probably be using it for whitetails this year). I'm not sure which are which (it's kind of a "blind" range session). I know that I've got 200gr Speer Grand Slams, 190gr Hornady Interlocks, 180gr Speer Mag Tips, 180gr Rem Core Lokts and 165gr Speer Hot Cores but they're unmarked.

It was pleasure meeting this guy and doing business with him. Really down to earth with decades of reloading and hunting experience so I plan to pick his brain and use his services in the future. It'll be a fun day tomorrow trying out these new loads. Hopefully I find a keeper. I usually do since my Sako is not overly fussy about what I feed it.