Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

PROBLEMS SIGHTING IN MY BROWNING 270

Old 10-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Default RE: PROBLEMS SIGHTING IN MY BROWNING 270

An excessive trigger pull could be your problem but as others have said check for loose scope mounting hardwear. Also try differernt makes of bullets or weights to find what your rifle likes best.

Best Wishes
Old 10-26-2004, 05:21 PM

My browning .270 came with a 4lb triger which isnt exess in my opinion
Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

A bad trigger will prevent the gun from shooting as accurate as possible, but I haven't seen one that would make that much difference. Is it shooting off consistently in one direction or is it all over the board?

I would begin shooting at 25, then shoot at 50, 75, etc. working my way out. I have seen guns that, for some reason or another, cause the bullet to tumble end over end. I have a .22 pistol that does this. I set a target at 25, missed, moved to 10, missed, moved to 5 and hit all around the target. The bullets were tumbling. Every other bullet or so would enter sideways.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:42 PM

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL OF THE ADVICE. I ORDERED A SHOOTERS RIDGE RIFLE REST FROM CABELAS OVER THE WEEKEND . I WILL USE THAT TO SIGHT IN THE GUN AGAIN THIS WEEKEND. THE SCOPE AND MOUNTS ARE TIGHT. I ADJUSTED THE TRIGGER PULL ALSO.
THANKS AGAIN, JAIME
Old 10-31-2004, 10:53 AM

Make sure everything is tight and always use a vise.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

HAD PROBLEMS SIGHTING IN MY BROWNING A-BOLT 270. AT 25 YARDS I COULD HIT THE BULLSEYE, AT 100 YARDS I HAD PROBLEMS JUST HITTING THE TARGET. A GUY AT THE SHOOTING RANGE SHOT THE GUN AND THOUGHT THAT THE TRIGGER WAS TO HEAVY. WOULD THE FACTORY TRIGGER SETTING BE ENOUGH TO CAUSE THIS? THE SCOPE IS A BUSHNELL ELITE 3200 3X9X40MM (NEW) AND I WAS SHOOTING 130 GR WINCHESTER SUPER X POWER POINT BULLETS.SHOULD I TRY SHOOTING A DIFFERENT BRAND OF BULLETS? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

did you clean the bore before taking it shooting??? so many people screw up new guns taking it shooting for the first time without cleaning out the packing grease in the bore first. my buddy did this with a savage in 270 the excess grease in the bore caused excessive pressure and warped the barrel since then he has a hard time just hitting the target at 100 yards.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

the trigger shouldn't be an issue but with less experienced shooters it could be. I have a mosin nagant M44 with open sights i can punch an inch to 2 inch groups with it at 100 yards, mind you this gun has a very very very heavy trigger pull with a trigger scale it measured 15 lbs. But the game is all about learning your weapon, just like anything to be good at it, it requires lots of practice. you cant just hit the range and rely on your rifle and ammo to be accurate you as the shooter you have to be accurate too.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:29 PM

Seems like everything has been covered so far except.....ammo !! I just got a Ruger 1 ..took it to the range, 25 yds good...100 yards, off the paper !! I was shooting 7x57 mauser, a good caliber, Ammo was Hornady 139 gr SST, good stuff, after almost tossing it in the trash, I spoke to some peolple and did a little reading and found out that Ruger uses a 1 in 8.75 twist in the barrel. This is a little faster that the other makers, so I tried different bullet lenghts ( weights) well the next type was 175 gr by Federal, goups at 100yds were .25, yes 1/4 inch. I will work up a hand load after deer season here, but for now I'll use the federals. TRY DIFFERENT WEIGHTS and different makes of ammo...Craig
Good luck....
Old 11-26-2004, 08:23 AM

hey BASEBALLCRAZY i feel your pain... i have the same gun but in left hand and it wouldnt shoot the winchester ammo worth hell.. i would suggest switching to a different brand of ammo... I switched to remington Accutips in 130gr and i get 5 shots in the size of a quarter at 100 yrds.. and i have had nothing done to my gun (trigger job). these bullets arent much more expensive the the winchester. like 22-24 $ per box.. you should give em a try..

I shoot:

Remington BDL LH .270
Bushnell 3200 FireFly 3x9x50
Browning A-Bolt .270 LH
Bushnell 3200 FireFly 3x9x50

shooting 130gr Remington Accutips
Old 11-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned just a few Abolts and no trigger I have ever used would make one miss a target at 100 yards unless it was the size of a quarter. First make sure your action bolts are tightened as per owners manual. Run a piece of thin paper and slide it from the foreend tip to the reciever if it hangs up on something there is a problem with your bedding. Next check out your scope rings and bases and see that they are tightened properly. If they are ok in that department set up a target at 50 yards and adjust the scope until you hit point of aim. Then set the target at 100 yards ..if it is not on paper I think you may have a scope problem. Borrow another scope if possible .

Quick Reply: PROBLEMS SIGHTING IN MY BROWNING 270

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.