Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a good all around shotgun

Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a good all around shotgun

I am saving up some money for next year to buy a good all around shotgun. I live in Ohio and gun season for deer is slug and pistol only. I wouold also like to be able to hunt turkey in the spring also. I was looking into a Benelli but I'm not fixed on one. I want something nice that 's going to last me a while. Give me some advise thanks Jim
Old 10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need a good all around shotgun

I believe the best shotgun that is fairly priced is the Remington 870. You can purchase an 870 Express new for just over $220 in my neck of the woods. I have had an 870 for the entire 19 years I have been hunting. I have never had a failure to fire, eject, or a jam of any kind in all those years. I have used mine for quail, turkey, duck, geese, and deer with a rifled slug barrel. You can buy more expensive but not any better.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
bigcountry

Can't beat an 870 combo with a rifled barrel and 26" smooth barrel. No need ever for a semi on slug for deer.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say either one would be perfect: Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500, either one get the combo package with the rifled/cantilever scope rail barrle
Old 10-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my .02 cents,Winchester model 1300 in the Slug/shotgun combo.
Get a 21 in. rifled barrel and a 28 in shotgun barrel and there you have a Deer,turkey,upland gamebirds and waterfowl gun.

I've owned my 1300 for 16yrs and never once had a problem.From stubble feild geese and ducks to Buckshot bucks,wind swept sharptails to timber turkeys.I've taken them all with a standared 28in barrell 12 ga. Winchester model 1300.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

take a look at the browning BPS, i realy like the action rellease compaired to the one on the remington.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

That's where my problem lies. I have a 870 express and had a mossburg 500. the Mossburg wouldn't handle higpower loads. After the shot the the breech would slam open witho0ut pumping leaving the shell in the chamber every shot it would do this. The 870 is In my opinion is a much better gun. BUT my 870 came with a smooth bore slug barrel and is the most unaccurate gun I have ever fired. the best I could shoot was 10 inch groups at 50yrds. (and that was the best!) I also turkey hunt and I couldn't get it to pattern well at all useing turkey chokes. I don't know of any other shot gun makers that combos beside Moss., Rem.,and Win., I could buy new a barrel for my 870 but that's real close to the cost of a bolt action slug gun.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:53 AM

well... 3 years ago i was in the same boat. I was looking for a all purpose shotgun under $500. I ended up getting the Browning BPS and i'm very glad I did. The gun comes with three Chokes (imporved cilinder, modified, and full), and a nice gun lock for around $400 give or take.

I did have a jaming problem with the cheepy Remington Game loads at the shooting range. I patterened the gun with wolf, remington, federal, and winchester shells but I get the best results with federal shells. I noticed a big difference with the federal loads tho i'm not exactally sure why?

Anyways, I use this gun for deer (OO buck-full), rabbit (#6-modified), pheasant(#5-modified or improved cilinder if shooting over pointers), and grouse(#7 1/2-Improved Cilinder) and can't complain a bit. I have never shot a slug through the barrel so i can't say anything about groupings with slugs?

Good luck in your search!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

What choke was in your gun when you were shooting slugs? Out of a smooth bore barrel you would need to install an improved cylinder. Also, look at the slugs you were firing, and check to see if they need to be fired out of a rifled barrel or if the can be shot out of a smooth bore. This should be stated on the box. Also, before you invest in a new gun try a rifled choke tube with slugs made for the purpose.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

i have a mossberg 500 and an 870. Both good. I like the mossberg better. Never had a single problem with it. Both are around the same price.

Quick Reply: Need a good all around shotgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.