Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sentimental about gun?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sentimental about gun?

OK, here's the thing. The first hunting rifle I ever bought(...well, actually my Grandparents bought it for me now that I think of it) was a Remington 742 in 30/06. The guy I bought it from was an early hunting buddy of mine, Alphy; probably 40 years my senior and taught me a lot about hunting. He passed away a few years ago. I also shot my first deer w/ this gun.

So that's about it regarding sentimentality; first "big" gun, Grandparents bought it for me, it belonged to a good friend/mentor b/f me and I shot my first whitetail w/ it.

BUT the stupid thing jams on me making it unpredictable in the field so I don't bother taking it out anymore. It's not the most accurate gun either.

I could keep it as a wallhanger (actually, here in Canada, it would be locked up in my safe [:'(] ) or I could sell it and put the money towards something more useful. My Gramma already told me to "sell the damn thing" if I can't use it and I'm sure Alphy would say the same but it still has sentimental value.

I would just like some objective opinions. Either tell me what you think I should do or what YOU would do! Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Sentimental about gun?

If you sell it, you will regret it later. I have been their myself, and wish i had it back. JMHO
Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really understand sentimentality and connection with things, especially handed down. I kept Dad's Rem M11 shotgun for many, many years after he moved on. I would cut that tie if you could find a constructive way to use the proceeds. When I take a piece in for trade, I don't have any doubts that the businesses I deal with will work on getting things a decent home. Used sporting arms seem to find a niche! And if I get something different, I try to hold on to the "guidance and the hand" of my late Dad from many year ago.... and it reflects in my choice.

Good duck hunting up there, pops!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your feelings. You hate to part with it. The Remington semi autos are known to be jammers. They been dubbed with the name Jam Masters or Jam -o-matics. Even though you have Sentimental feelings for the gun if you can't depend on it's reliability what good is it? I've had a couple of these Rem 742's. Both are gone and I would never consider another one.It's up to you what you want to do. If it were me in this position it would be gone. Want a great semi auto sell the Rem and invest in a Browning BAR.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure it's a lost cause? There are wear problems with some of the parts that can be fixed, at least for a time. Get it checked out. I guess if it required a big investment to get it working it may not be worth the effort, but I still wouldn't sell it. What will it bring anyway? Keep it is my advice.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input; I've found something of value in all your comments.

I don't know what I'd replace it w/. I've considered a nice bolt action .22 (very useful), a bolt action .308 (good for accuracy, reloading, easy on the shoulder at the range) and I've considered buying a compound bow to get into bowhunting next season . ANY of these would be good and useful investments so I'm not short on those.

As for value, a gun store owner told me that on consignment at his store it probably wouldn't sell but if I put it in the "bargain hunter" I could get $500CDN (about $400US) cause people are actively looking for these old 742's or maybe just semi autos in general...I don't know. (A semi auto in 30/06 is a great brush gun if you need to get a second shot off quick provided it doesn't jam!)

I don't know if it's a lost cause. I've cleaned it out as best as I can so the only other option is to have it cleaned out and looked at by a local gunsmith for $50 minimum. If it needs work after that it just won't be cost effective.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

These742 have been discontinued by Remington awhile back. Remington from my experiences doesn't stock parts for discontinued models. They feed their parts to Remington Parts dealers. In other words finding a part you need could become very difficult to locate.I have a Rem 760 same situation. Luckly a Gunsmith I know had what I needed.If for sentimental reasons you want to keep it that's fine. If you're hoping for a reliable gun in a Rem 742 good luck.There were some that did fairly well. The majority were jammers.Remington will send you a list of dealers in Discontinued Remington parts upon request.At least they use to?That may have changed along with Remington's Customer Service.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Simple. If you need the money in order to get a different gun or bow then sell it. If you don't need the funds then keep it for the memories.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wouldn't sell it. I'd look into getting the feed problem fixed, and maybe find out if the accuracy can be helped at all.

If it is a lost cause, I'd still probably keep it. I'd hang it on the wall if it's good enough to look at. You might check the books to find out if you can fill the bbl or chamber with caulk or something and remove the firing pin and hammer (render it inoperable) and legally hang it on the wall. If not, I'd probably still hang it on the wall, just take it down when cops or gov't officials come over for supper.

You might look at how much you really feel for the gun. I pretty much know in an instant if I can sell a gun. If someone asks me if I'd sell one, my first instinct is typically what I'd decide on after a year of pondering (and I've had that happen in the past several times!!!). The way you're asking, you're kind of wanting us to convince you to go ahead and sell it, meaning you've already decided you don't want it, but if someone would say "don't sell it or you're regret it", you'd think harder about hanging on.

I have no problems selling guns I don't "love", but there's no amount of money that could buy the guns I do care about, even if they aren't worth anything. For example, my father gave me his old .410 single shot, which was his dad's before him for a little while. It's not exactly an heirloom, just that it's a gun that works and he needed a gun so his dad gave it to him, and when I needed a shotgun, he gave to me...It's about 5% finish, the hammer spur is broken off, the fore-end has a sliver broken off and the retaining piece is missing. The butt plate is missing (actually more broken than mounting it is worth). The stock is cracked terribly and in several layers, it's been roughly wood glued and was even held together (still obvious) with a hose clamp. I could buy a new equivalent gun for $80, and I do have a new H&R/NEF that's very similar to it....I also bought all of the replacement parts I could to "repair" that gun, but I've not yet installed them.

In the condition it is in, the forend can't be mounted, so you have to hang on tight when you open it to load it, otherwise it falls apart! I've developed such a relationship with this gun that I spent $200 on those parts that I can't bring myself to put on, and I take it afield falling apart every winter, holding this UGLY gun when I'm known for being an "avid shooter and gunsman". But, I take more game with it, and have more fun with it than any other gun I've owned. I baby it like it was made of solid gold, even though it's been recovered from the bottom of a creek a time or two, and dropped off the back of a truck on the highway.

I'll put it this way, my fiance once asked me what I loved more, my guns or her, I said I loved her more, and she asked, "so you'd give up all your guns if I said I'd leave you if you didn't," I said I'd let her walk out if she made me give up that .410!!! It's a turd that's barely functional, and I've certainly got several guns that of the same "type" that are in better condition, but that one is MY GUN, not just one of the guns I own.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've thought a lot about it recently and decided to keep it...rogue rifle or not! I'll do some more experimenting with different loads/powders/bullets and see what happens. It is a sentimental/nostalgic rifle to me but I also want it to serve a purpose in my collection. A Remington 742 does a lot of things well, nothing great so I'll focus on that. Thanks again!