Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum snobbery?

Old 10-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Magnum snobbery?

I would quess that a lot of arguements sound silly to some people. The thing is, everyone had thier opinions. Thats the way life is. As long as there are a lot of opinions you will have discussions about high or low velocity rounds and light fast bullet VS heavy slow bullets. If this were not true there would be little use to shooting forums and such. The makers of guns and ammo and scopes make thier living on these differences of opinions and new products are born to try to please everyone. So let the opinions fly, the industry needs all the help they can get. I was in this indrustry for 20 years.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mistahmojoryan
... The only person who's entertained the idea that I'm using "too much gun" is me and one time I mentioned it to a gunsmith and he asked, "Are you damaging a lot of meat?" The answer was "No" so he just smirked and shrugged at me...I felt kind of stupid but it definitely stopped me thinking about my mighty magnum cartridge.
You know, I never understand this comment either. I mean, what the hey - a 30-30 vs a 300 mag. Can anyone show me the difference in the entrance and exit wounds they make on a normal chest shot? If there is a difference it's totally immaterial. I've just never seen any difference in any shot that any "normal" rifle makes on a whitetail. Use the gun you have and a variety if'n you have 'em!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Steven Ashe

Jack did write:
I shoot a 30-06 Mag and I've never had any of those guys offer to stand in front of me, at any distance.
Whice ammo manufacturer produces "30-06 Mag"?
Maybe he's referring to the 30-06 "light magnum" factory load put out by Hornaday?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:43 PM

I say whatever works, use what you can shoot. You would be better off with a 243 that you are very accurate with than a .416 rigby that you couldnt shoot at all.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:29 AM

I usually try to keep my mouth shut, concerning another man's equipment, unless he ask for my opinion. That said, I believe that we all have a serious responsibility to make every effort to get a quick, clean kill. This fact has become much more an issue, since the vast majority of us are no longer subsistance hunters. Certainly, when the American Indians drove a herd of buffalo off of a cliff, in order to get jerky for winter, one would've been hard pressed to illicit any pity over the buffaloes' suffering, from those people, as they gathered meat for survival. Such is not the case today. Most of us know what we need to put an animal down and give him a quick, near painless death. It is not sporting to use less, simply to have a brag. No one but the hunter can judge his own skill and/or the firearm used, or call the shot.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:35 AM

I know that in greenland the locals are shooting .222Rem and .30us carbine for
polarbear and any other critter that has a fur!!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

And the 22 Hornet.