Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum snobbery?

Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 AM

Default RE: Magnum snobbery?

What is a 5x5 and a 7x7 moose?
You know, I really did think about that myself. I am not that familiar with moose palms and do not know how they are scored. Never been moose hunting and always thought that moose were rather ugly, when compared to other "deer". I merely passed along what the hunter told me he got. He said that his moose was "5x5 with a 50" spread". Maybe you can tell me if "points" are counted on moose, just as they are on elk. Those big "nubbies" are rather hard to discern, in terms of where does one point end and another begin.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 AM

I've got an online friend who is also an African PH and Outfitter, down near Cape Town, he is the real McCoy. This is not someone who hunts an occasional weekend or for a week, but who harvests animals on a regular basis. That is his living. The animals in Africa are usually tougher than in N.A., but Africans rarely use high velocity magnums. They prefer mostly round nose type projectiles, at 1800-2200 fps in most cases. For dangerous game, big bore projectiles are usualy the rule.
My friend JB has taken many Kudu, an antelope which is somewhat comparable to an elk, with his 6x45mm, which is a .223 case necked up to 6mm, loaded with a 100 gr. R.N. at 2200fps, at no more than 120m, for this cartridge. He also uses a 7x57mm, which very popular in Africa, and a .375 H&H. The .375 H&H, JB shoots downloaded to around 2200fps, unless he is going for dangerous game or one of the Big 5.
The main reasons that they eschew H.V. in Africa is to prevent unnecessary meat destruction and for the incredible penetration a projectile that holds together can give. Also, they pay dearly over there for firearms and premium bonded projectiles, so it is much less expensive just to avoid using the latest super magnum.

This is a 6x45mm with a 100 grain Round Nose. Read the headstamp, JB sent me this brass.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that I try to get out of such situations with: Hunt with a lot of different rounds and guns. I've hunted deer, elk, bruins, and big horns with various rounds from .44mag, .22-250, .30-06, .300WSM, .338WM, .375H&H, .416Rigby, .45-70, .30-30, 7.62x39mm, and about as many others (these are kind of "typical" for their respective classes)...

SOOOO....when someone asks me about my hardware for this trip I always say something along the lines of, "well this year I'm going back to the ol' .30-06," or, "I'm taking the SKS out this time," or, "I figure I'll take the .416 out just to give it some use." That leaves it open for evidence that I've tasted other flavors, but chocolate is what I'm having this time.

A huge plus of this "*****footing tactic" is that it often leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of those that know little and think they know it all..."I'm using a .30-06 THIS TIME," if he's never shot anything but his 7mm mag, he might bite his tounge instead of making a fool of himself in the presence of someone more experienced.

Of course, I'm not one to let a bluff go uncalled...when someone tells me my .357mag is underpowered for deer, or my .45-70 is way too powerful, I just tell them that it's a good thing that I'm shooting it instead of them, and I'll certainly like to know of their evidence to back their statement.

I like to keep a wallet album full of my kills with various guns/cartridges...if they say my .243 is too weak, I'll tell them "Well he didn't argue" (holding up the pic of a 10pter that tipped the scales at 210# dressed).

Ask them for proof and they'll shut up.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Just personal preference it all it boils down to. Is a magnum needed to hunt elk no. But what is the big deal anyway. Would i hunt elk with 458 winchester mag sure. Would I hunt elk with a 25-06 why not. The difference being just as the man assumed you needed more power. Not knowing at all wether you could shoot or had enough ethics to take the right shots on the animal. I love my magnums and my non-magnums point blank I love all my rifles. Bows and muzzleloaders kill elk to ya know. Is there a perfect elk caliber maybe. but it has to fit the man behind the trigger first.

The best comeback for overbearing people is the knotches in your gunstock for all the animals you have taken with it. Thank god its just a figure of speech or mine would be a toothpick and I'd have to have it restocked.

We all look for that extra edge, and alot look to magnums to give them that edge. Well forget the greener pastures and shoot what you like and practice enough to shoot it well no matter weither is a 243win or a 470 nitro express. There is no substitute for a well placed shot vs. throwing lead at them.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:23 PM

There is no substitute for a well placed shot vs. throwing lead at them.
Hear! Hear!
I shot two rifles in the rain today, not because I wanted to get out in the rain, but because I wanted to see if shooting through a heavy downpour changed the strike of the bullet at 200 yards!.... It did not.
We were getting the tail end of Hurricane Jean, here in Md. this week. Both the 7mmWSM and the 7mmRemMag performed just as they had last week on a dry, still day.
Doing things like shooting targets in a hard rain sounds crazy to some, but shooting under different conditions, just for practice has always paid off. If the payoff is not in game, it is in the confidence of knowing that what I am carrying will work.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven Ashe

Jack did write:
I shoot a 30-06 Mag and I've never had any of those guys offer to stand in front of me, at any distance.
Whice ammo manufacturer produces "30-06 Mag"?
I do. So can you. Just get out your Sharpie marker and write Mag on the box.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good point Jack
Old 09-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get out your Sharpie marker and write Mag on the box.
Good one
I'll make 30-06 short magnums out of my .308s
Old 09-30-2004, 02:43 PM

I'll make 30-06 short magnums out of my .308s
So, by that logic, if one has their .308Win chamber reamed to 30-06, they then HAVE a .308WinMag!! Right?? <8^)
Old 09-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Hey people, interesting discussion. I'm new around here so to be honest I've never heard of anything like magnum snobbery/magnumitis or whatever until now. Seems kind of silly but there's just so many opinionated people (read gun owners ) out there.

I've used mainly a .284 and 30/06 for whitetail hunting over the years but for the past 8 I've primarily used a 300WM. It's comfortable, reliable, accurate and efficient so I have no good reason to choose another rifle except for variety/fun/interest. The only person who's entertained the idea that I'm using "too much gun" is me and one time I mentioned it to a gunsmith and he asked, "Are you damaging a lot of meat?" The answer was "No" so he just smirked and shrugged at me...I felt kind of stupid but it definitely stopped me thinking about my mighty magnum cartridge.

I don't care what gun anybody uses but it's just common sense and responsible to use an accurate/reliable gun, be a decent marksman and understand the capabilities of the cartridge (ie, know where to place the bullet). I think that's about it

Anyway, I am enjoying the discussion so I thought I'd add something

Cheers

Quick Reply: Magnum snobbery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.