Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum snobbery?

Old 09-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Magnum snobbery?

I shoot a 30-06 Mag and I've never had any of those guys offer to stand in front of me, at any distance.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 AM

Jack did write:
I shoot a 30-06 Mag and I've never had any of those guys offer to stand in front of me, at any distance.
Whice ammo manufacturer produces "30-06 Mag"?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Should have told the guy that your cartridge was designed to kill horses up to 500 yards away, then ask him what the silly belt near the casehead on his cartrigdes does.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Steven. I was an FFL dealer for about 20 years as well. I also had the chance to try all the calibers that I wanted then just resale them if it was nothing that fit into my plans. I shot a 416 Remington Mag for several years and I tried all the Marlin small case rifles like the 218 Bee and 25-20 and 32-20. As a rule I would not argue with the sort you spoke of either. I would consider the source and let it go unless he pushed me. Like you, through expierence I know what the range of tools for the job are. EKM will shoot a 416 Rigby for elk. Thats his choice of weapon. My Grandad for many years would get on his horse in the mountains of Wyoming with his Winchester 44-40 or 30-30 and ride out and bring home his elk every year. An Elk guide who I have hunted with takes his elk every year with one shot from his 243. As the hunter Bell in Africa took many many hundreds of elephants with the 7x57 mauser, we know very well that it can be done. As you or someone else here said It IS The skill of the hunter that counts. An Uncle of mine that worked in Africa killed Cape Buffalo with a 30-06. In shooting twenty five of these critter, only two required a second shot. He could however hit a golf ball with that rifle at 200 yards. They reduced herds of game for many years and thats the only rifle he ever used. So each to his own. If you know what works for you and its legal, then the other guy can tuck his opinion in that well known spot. Unless asked. My shoulder won't handle the big kickers any more so I have stepped down several notches. If I can't shoot a bigger gun enough to practice then I am better off without it. I will use a smaller rifle and pick my shots.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote][/qSorry, I am just getting tired of always being criticized by someone just because of what caliber of rifle I choose to use.
uote]

Why even argue with someone like that in the first place or let it get to you? Lifes too short shoot what works on the game your hunting and tell people like that to get a life. Like I said before I always here why are you shooting a 300 wby or a 338 or a 7 rem mag when I use a 30-06 and its all the gun you'll ever need. Last hunt I was packing a 280 and the guy at the airport said it was 2 small for elk as all he uses is a 300 win mag ..I pointed to the 4 cardboard boxes containg approx 200 lbs of boned frozen Elk meat and said you mean that Elk is not really deadt?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

[quote..I pointed to the 4 cardboard boxes containg approx 200 lbs of boned frozen Elk meat and said you mean that Elk is not really deadt?

LOL Good one
Old 09-27-2004, 04:16 PM

It is entirely possible to kill elk with a .243.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:30 PM

In 1998, I hunted elk with a guide out of Darby, MT. That dude claimed that when he took elk for the freezer, he used a 22-250. I would not use a 22-250 to go after elk, but then my chances at elk are few. I believe the guide, as he'd lived in those mountains all of his life and could get close and take a killing shot with the varmint cartridge.
I should have really named this thread "Cartridge Snobbery", as several have pointed out, some hunters who do not use a magnum are snobbish against those who do, so certainly the blade can cut both ways.
Just as an aside: I spoke to a neighbor today who'd just gotten back from bagging a 5x5 Moose. He said that they were glassing 7x7 Moose each day, but could not get to them. He was hunting in Siberia!! If I would have had the money, I would've made a trip like that twenty or more years ago. Too late for me now though. Just flying to Siberia would be a big pain.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should have really named this thread "Cartridge Snobbery", as several have pointed out, some hunters who do not use a magnum are snobbish against those who do, so certainly the blade can cut both ways.
After you told him you were using a 30-06, and he said "You know of course you will be undergunned?" I really don't see this guy as a snob. If he don't understand the capabilities of a 30-06, then he is just ignorant. I think that he is a snob wannabe.

C. Davis
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 AM

Steven

What is a 5x5 and a 7x7 moose?

As someone else said, life is way too short to be worrying about this stuff. I guess I don't give a rat's rear end what other people think of me or my equipment. Problem with this world is business knowledge. People don't know when to mind their own.

Quick Reply: Magnum snobbery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.