Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mission: affordable sub moa capable rimfire

Old 09-23-2004, 06:44 PM

Default mission: affordable sub moa capable rimfire

Anyone read this month's guns'n'ammo? There was a feature on the Kimber uber varmint .22 (page 18) that really got my wheels turnin. The article, instead of praising what a fine little rifle it undoubtably is, was aglow with praise for the Pride-Fowler Rapid Reticle rimfire 3x9 with a graduated reticle marking yardage out to 200 yards. The line and sinker of it was the author's comparison of shooting 200 yards 22lr to 1000 yards .308. This may be a great way for me to work on some serius shooting skills while having some serious fun. But must I spend serious money? The scope models are calibrated for specific velocity and bullet weights for various rimfires and other callibers, and seem to be well priced ($239). I'm looking to spend $339 or less on a rifle.
I am of the 22wmr persuasion and am hoping you can suggest rimfire rifle's you have personal experience with that are out of the box tack drivers.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:48 PM

Default RE: mission: affordable sub moa capable rimfire

I'm hoping to hear from someone who owns or has shot an EAA Basic Biathlon.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a modified out the butt ruger 10-22 I have about 600 bucks in it, it holds 1 MOA at 100 yards with wolf match extra ammo. Alot of the mods really didnt improve accuracy but did improve on comfort. You can put a basic setup together for under $300 then whatever you want to spend for a scope. there are somany options for a the ruger 10-22 reciever out there you really can t go wrong.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:12 PM

I cant knock it either. Always have liked them but for some silly reason never got one. good point, the ruger is a great starting point for any number of mods. I picked up one of those browning automatic .22 knock offs that could be found at walmart years ago and it kinda took the edge off my 10/22 droolings. but I cant get a hogue stock for it now can I?
I'm hoping to keep this rifle very simple, I would consider single shot, bolt action, an old falling block martini .22.......accuracy is first, and I'm a bit old school.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:56 PM
DM

My no frills very accurate 22rf is a Remington 541-T. There must be some around used, and they didn't cost an arm and a leg when new, so......... I won a lot of matches with mine!!

In a sporter weight rifle, i like the Remington 541-S. It's very accurate and doesn't weigh a ton!! I built one for my self long ago on a left hand action, and it's just a joy to shoot!!

Drilling Man

Old 09-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

can your remington do this at 100 yards? My ruger 10-22 is dead on at 75 yards, this is one of my better 100 yard 5 shot groups to bad it wasn't in the bulleye.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
DM

I don't know, i never tried it. BUT, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it shoot a group that good, or even better. Rem. 541-T's will shoot with the big boys, no problem at all, and that's right out of the box. NOT after a super tune and pileing $$ into them.

Rem.. 541-S' will shoot with any sporter right out of the box too, it's a shame they don't make these any longer. Kinda like the Rem. 788's, another "to bad it's gone" rifle!!

Drilling Man