Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEW gun, NOW what???

Old 09-18-2004, 09:55 PM

Default NEW gun, NOW what???

hey all i just got home with my new marlin 917v and i was wondering if there is anything i should do to it be4 i go out to shoot it. im really thinking about using the pen spring cuz the trigger seems way to stiff for me.

my dad said that you should take apart all new guns to clean out the grease and crud. but i was thinking if i did that how would i be able to get the torque on the screws holding the barrel/reciever to the stock right? or does it matter wut the torque is?

i also read somewhere that wen u buy a boresnake for a .17hmr, you should remove the wire bristles from it...is this true? if it is true, then why?

another thing. had to drive an hour to get the gun cuz theres no gun shops around but i forgot to get a .17 arbour for my boresighter....any tricks out there to make it possible to at least get the scope to being close without actually using a .17 arbor?...got anything from .22cal up.

any other little tips or anything that might make my first outting more pleasurable?

oh ya...i bought 3 boxes of hornady and 3 of remington ammo and i noticed on the hornady like 40 out of 50 of the red ballistic tips r almost black...is this normal? i can rub it off with my fingers to there origonal bright red...looks like a thin coat of black grease or something...

thx for any help...

ch312
Old 09-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NEW gun, NOW what???

You always need to clean a new gun before you shoot it to get all of the comolene and greese and stuff out.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It’s a good idea to clean the gun to remove any manufactures oils or grease before shooting it.... I have always taken my rifles apart and have never had an issue with the torque on screws. I usually tighten the till the screws are nice and snug .

I have the .17hmr bore snake and I never remove the wire bristle. The bristle are there for a reason and that’s to clean the barrel.

I’m not sure if the Marlin 917v is a bolt action but if it is you can bore sight your rifle by removing the bolt from the rifle and resting the rifle on some sort of stable rest if you don’t have any maintenance center. Pick a target looking thru the barrel at a certain distance and check where the cross hairs are located. If it’s not close dial them in as best as possible. This should help in sighting in the rifle and put it on the paper as long as you’re not starting to sigh in at 100 yards. I would suggest to start at 25 yards.

I also have some Hornady .17 with greyish to blackish tips. I don’t see that being a problem. I think it’s just some kind of coating to stop the bullets from tarnishing..... Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 30-06lover
You always need to clean a new gun before you shoot it to get all of the comolene and greese and stuff out.
Right! Then tighten up the guard screws as tight as you can with a good-fitting screwdriver. They don't have to be torqued with a torque wrench!