Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BAR Accuracy Troubles, I need HELP!!!

Old 09-18-2004, 09:00 PM

Default BAR Accuracy Troubles, I need HELP!!!

I have a BAR grade 3 in 300 Win mag, I have shot it for 20 years and has never failed to produce sub 1" groups at 100 yrds. Between my son and I we have more clean 1 shot kills approching 400 yards than I can remember.
Now hears the problem, I shot it last year to check the zero, it shot great as always,
killed my deer, cleaned it and retired it to the safe for another year. I shot it a few weeks ago to check the zero, and it won't put 2 shoots in an 8" circle? I have scrubed out all traces of copper in the barrel, cleaned the gas system, tried a new scope, and bases and rings. I have had 4 gun smiths look at it and they all tell me that the crown bore and chamber are as good as new, and I can not see any problems with the stock bedding. I have talked with Browning on the phone, they told me to send it in, but it would be about 9 to 10 months before they could even look at it.
Is there any one out there with any ideas? If anyone knows the name of a browning expert (other than Browning) please let me know.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BAR Accuracy Troubles, I need HELP!!!

9 to 10 months before they could look at it!!! WOW!!!

I can't think of anything else other than what you have tried.

Just one thing, you have checked your scope and rings, I had a problem with my A-bolt a couple of years back, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn it it worked great up until then, It happened that it was the rings, they had been recalled. Probably not what is wrong with yours... Good luck, I would probably send it back to browning, hope you have another rifle for the season!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one in .270 that did the same thing.Shot really good for years and all of a sudden it went all to crap.My stock was loose. Pull the recoil pad and check the bolt that holds on the stock.That cured mine. Or it could possibly be a crack in the stock .Had that happen on a T/C Encore.The walnut stock had a crack at the pistol grip and would not group for nothing.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:06 AM

Yes I have put on new bases, rings, and changed the scope.
I have also tried getting a new batch of powder, primers and cases, to no avail.
All Browning told me to look at was the gas assembly and the crown, it all looks good and is cleaned spotless.
I'm sick about it! Most BAR's shoot ok, but there few that shoot as well as this one has.
I think I will try the stock an forarm from another gun on it, if it will fit, and try that. I may even try to shoot it without a forarm. I may even get the crown recut just to see, but I hate to start trying things like that not knowing for sure!
If you can think of something to look at let me know.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

I am no gunsmith, but I can't understand why the gas assembly, would affect the accuracy that much... The crown can, but 8" off seems a little much for that even. You should be able to look at the crown and tell if it has been beat/torn up. If it looks good, it probably is. I have an old Kimber .22 that I got a great deal on because the previous owner used to sit the gun on teh barrel and the crown was all messed up... The guy who sold it to me said I would need to have it re-crowned... Anyway I decided to shoot it before I did it and it shot very good... I could probably get it recrowned and it might shoot a little better, but who knows.

In my limited experience accuaracy is most affected by the barrel, barrel bedding, correctly mounting the scope. I really don't think the action would through it off that much.

One more thing... Have you checked the rifling? I am sure you have, but I am running out of ideas... BAR's have a good reputation amoung semi-autos.... Good luck.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

gunner0909 I am assuming you have throroughly cleaned out the gas system , making sure the path from the barrel to the piston chamber is clean,. Does the bolt cycle properly? Is the foreend screw set up correctly? I bet the barrel is worn just a little the first 1/2" or so of barrel. It sometimes happens with guns that get cleaned from the muzzle end..you don't have nicks or dings on the crown. I am pretty baffled by it myself.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:09 AM

I had another gun smith look at it today, said the barrel was like new.

I'm still looking?????????
Old 09-22-2004, 12:03 PM

It could be a warped stock but for it to be that far off zero is perplexing. I had a BAR Safari grade II in .300 Win Mag.
First time out the firing pin broke on a shot on a big red stag, no shot fired.
Took it out last year and made sure it was zeroed two inches high at a hundred yards.
Missed a nice buck not that far away.
Checked the zero when I got home and it was seven inches off
Took it to the range this year and broke another firing pin.
Got rid of gun, don't need the greif.
I know they have a good reputation but mine was a lemon from the get go.
Good luck on finding the problem with yours.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow you covered everything the only things you did not cover is maybe a bad lot of ammo or the problem is the shooter other then that I cannot think of anything else.