Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The lies about the "Assaul Weapon" ban

Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 AM

Default RE: The lies about the "Assaul Weapon" ban

I was livid yesterday listening to Jesse Jackson on the Sean Hannity show. He was making a lot of noise about how Bush made AK47s legal. If I'm not mistaken, AK47s are fully automatic and were never, ever part of the Assault Weapons Ban! They've been heavily restricted as part of the 193x law and are not allowed to be imported.

(Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread incorrect info)

[:@]
Old 09-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The lies about the "Assaul Weapon" ban

A LOT of people comment about "antigunners" commenting about how if the ban expires, AK-47's will be legal again, or that Bush gave back AK-47's, which isn't entirely true, but nonetheless they get their point across.

Here's my question, do you really know the appropriate name for the Semiautomatic version of the AK-47? To be honest, I don't, and I've owned three of them!!!! Everyone I've ever known has called the semiauto equivalent of the AK-47 an AK-47...and the semiauto configuration WAS limited if not banned entirely by the AWB. The distinction between the "american equivalent" AR-15 and M-16 is MUCH more clear publicly, however, media groups were blatantly trying to blur the line during the final days of the line, for example, showing a police officer firing an M-4 or M-16 in burst or full auto, then commenting that "if the ban expires, guns similar to this one....". They're not lying, because an AR IS similar to a M-16, but they leave out the part that makes the AR less scary.

They also tend to not comment on the AR's because they're known as weapons of american heros and made by american companies that can sue for libel, while the AK's are known for killing american heros.