Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Managed Recoil?

Old 09-06-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Managed Recoil?

My father has been rifle hunting with a 30-06 all of his adult life. He's not getting any younger, however, and the recoil is starting to beat the heck out of him. Last year, he bought a new 30-06 hoping that it would be a little easier on him than his old semi-auto carbine, but it's hitting him so hard that it's effecting his shooting.
Does anybody know anything about the new Remington "Managed Recoil" cartridges? They supposedly take enough kick out of a 30-06 to make it feel more like a .243, and would only sacrifice a minimal amount of muzzle velocity. We hunt in the mountains and our farthest shot would never exceed 120 yards.
What do you think? Should he try a box of the managed recoil cartridges?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Managed Recoil?

If you reload then you can reduce the loads and the bullet weights. If not by all means try the managed recoil cartridges.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Spike

You could have a muzzle brake put on. They say it will reduce recoil 20%. But the muzzle brake will make the gun alot noisy. Thats why you don't see people put them on there guns. So if your father don't care about the noise then thats the route I would try.

My grandfather did this to his rifle and loves it.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I took the easy way out. I took my old shooting vest and sewed a pocket in the inside of the shoulder. I can add or subract padding to the pocket as needed. Age changes everything. My older shopulder got so it would not stand the recoil. This was a simple cure or at least improvement. Hey call me a sissy but I don't need the pounding if I can prevent it.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean James. My problem was not so much age but a shoulder injury. I got to where I wear a PAST recoil pad on anything pretty much over a 243 Win. People can laugh all they want but after going through almost a year of therapy and injections I'm not going to risk it. That thing works like a charm too. Almost no felt recoil from anything I shoot.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:01 PM

My dad was talking about buying my sister a .270. But she is small for her age and rather delicate, but she does want to hunt which is a good sign. But he was worried about the kick. First, is the managed recoil for the .270. If it is a really hope it is a sucess.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am still getting injections every four months. It helps some but not to much. The biggest help they are is the fact that they cut down on eating pain pills.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:44 PM

Remington's managed recoil loads are essentully a weaker charged, lighter bullet per calibre combo. it's not rocket science, but it works. i would suggest buying a decelerator pad, and put it on your gun. They work great, don't increase the noise a brake will, and you don't have to buy weak ammo.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

For JimboHunters dad, I would give them a try. They still have over 600 foot pounds at 400 yards... more than some handgun hunting loads. That way dad can keep with the grand 06. And keep his shoulder, too! I have always thought modern 06's are too light, but weight does not sell or generate used rifles.

That's a complex joint. You don't want surgery on that shoulder. biscuit knows!

(Know how many physical therapists it takes to shingle a roof? Just one if you slice him thin!)