Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WHAT TO DO...

Old 09-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default WHAT TO DO...

I am in the market for a new rifle. I am down to a couple of choices and don't know what to buy. If I had to pick one right now it would be the 280 Rem. But thinking to buy a 300 Rem Ultra Mag or 300 Rem SA Ultra Mag.

Thought that I would see what people think about the three guns and what they would do.

All most forgot that I do reload my own shells.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES
Old 09-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT TO DO...

I have always been partial to the 280 Remington. You have an advantage as a handloader under all circumstances. I would go to a 300 if I was serious about bigger critters... but then, I would probably be shopping for 338 again if it was bigger critters.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you buy a 300 Rem SAUM be sure to stock up on brass because the 300 WSM has too big a lead in sales and there isn't room enough in the world for both. I like the 280 Rem. If I didn't already have a 270 Win and a 7mm-08 Rem I would definately be looking to get one.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 PM

The 280 doesn't have the knockdown power of the ultra mag, but wont kick as hard either. By all reports the 300 short mags give you both knockdown power and low recoil.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:25 PM

I am in the market for a new rifle.
NEW rifle? Before I recommend, what, if any, high power rifle do you have now?

BTW, if the answer is "none, this is my first high power rifle", then I recommend the 30-06. Yeah, I know, it is not on your list and they are boring and common; however, they are very versatile rifles that most folks can handle. I wouldn't want you "biting off more than you can chew" for your first high power rifle.

Again, otherwise, the answer depends on what you already have, no sense buying an additional, essentially equivalent, rifle.

EKM