Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Replacement stocks???

Old 09-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Replacement stocks???

I'm looking for advice on where to get a replacement stock for my military sportized mod. 98 mauser. Preferably a drop in composite stock. Anybody know of some good sources?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Replacement stocks???

I actually have a few for sale, let me what you want I can also get just about any kind of stock for mausers.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres what I have right now

Old 09-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info Wolf. I saw those at a couple of web sites but I'm not too keen on the design. The top piece where the scope mounts just doesn't appeal to me. I'm looking for more of the classic stock style. A friend just recently suggested a Ramline but I haven't checked them out yet. Would you happen to know if they are any good? Also, when placing the action in a drop in stock, is there any kind of fitting involved. I know they are suppose to be drop in but how true is that and how do you make changes if some need to be done. I'm handy with tools but I've never dealt in firearm modification.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just made a post asking about the hougue stock for a 98 mauser, refer to that and might take a look at that stock it looks like a pretty good one.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Spike

HOUGUE IS THE BEST (if you ask me). I have 4 of them. You will be very happy with one. If your going to buy a stock you need to check out the HOUGUE. They have a very nice rubber like finsh on them so they won't slip in any weather.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hogues are probably the best one but on some mauser models they may need some barrel channel modifications but for a Mauser 98 they are completely drop in, the Ramlines are completely drop in no modifications needed for any model. when you decided let me no where you are gonna get it from I'll see if I can meet or beat their price. I can usually beat most prices by about 10%.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:55 AM

I also like the Hogue stock, have used one in a Rem. 700 since '97 about when they came out. Only drawback is the weight, they seem a little on the heavy side. I would spend the extra money and get the full pillar bedded stock. Everyone who has shouldered this rifle has fallen in love with the Hogue stock. I am not a big fan of the Ramline, unless they have changed greatly over the past few years the stocks seem like they are made of cheap plastic, just my opinion. McMillan makes excellent stocks but they are priced high accordingly. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 AM

Hogue's are nice, but if you don't like, or can't afford the cost, I would suggest the ram-line. i have had several, but they do look like crap. What i like to do with them is sand the mould lines down, then paint them with an epoxy paint, usually in olive, just to be different. I also mix in some deck texture material. It's the stuff you put on your backyard deck, to give it an anti-skid texture. It works quite well, and will cost you less than some others. Good luck.