Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 1B problem

Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Ruger 1B problem

I have a 1B in 7 MMag. There are no more than 50 rounds through the barrel. When I mounted scopes, a Weaver and a Redfield, I cannot get the scope to adjust far enough right. For instance, today at the range, all my shots were five inches left and two inches high at 25 yds. Now the height is okay 'cause that will level out at 100 yds, but the "left" has me troubled. I cannot adjust the screw any further to bring it right. I could see one scope being bad, but not two, especially since the last scope came off of one of my other rifles and it was zeroed at 100 yds. All screws are tight, nothing is loose. I am shooting Rem 150 grns. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. When I get a free day, I'll run it to a gunsmith, but til then...
PS. The gun is shot from a rigid rest.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger 1B problem

I would think there is a problem with your ring/base combo may be crooked on the gun..not sure. Maybe there is a problem with barrel clearance in the foreend. I had a 1b in 280 and didn't have those problems. It might be your rigid rest..try shooting it off sandbags and see if that is the problem. IT's either that , the ring/bases or maybe barrel clearance. If nothing works contact Ruger CS and tell them about it and if necessary return the rifle to them I am sure it will be turned around fast.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:00 PM

your problem is between the barrel and scope. I doubt its the rifle itself. 1)check the mount to rifle alignment. 2)check the ring to base alignment 3) ring to ring alignment. 4)scope to ring alignment. If you dont find any problems try reverseing the rings, make sure both rings are mounted faceing the same direction, if they already are try faceing them the opposite direction. if not send the whole thing in to ruger. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

As NVMIKE suggests, try reversing the rings, and also try swapping the front ring for the rear ring. I have seen this swapping cure the kind of problem you're having. I suspect there's nothing at all wrong with either of your scopes!