Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin vs. Winchester leveractions?

Old 08-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Marlin vs. Winchester leveractions?

Looking to add a new "tiny gun" to my battery, something a bit lighter kicking than my Marlin 1895 Guide gun, but with a little more range than my .44mag Marlin 1894's.....If it were a pistol cartridge I'd never even think about the Winchesters, but every .30-30 94 I've handled has shot very well

I knew that Winchester did a 94 called the trapper that was really little, so I checked around their website and found out that they do one smaller still called the Ranger compact in .30-30....Marlin does a 336 youth model, the "Spikehorn" that's comprable:

Marlin 336Y: $530 16.5" bbl, 34"OL, 6.5#, pistol grip, checkered stock (fat boy)

Winchester 94 Ranger Compact: $300, 16" bbl, 33"OL, 5.25#, non-checkered english stock

I'm a marlin man through and through, but I think in this case the Winchester looks more like what I'm looking for, cheap, light, straight stock, anyone care to comment on why the Marlin is really worth the extra weight and price?

I guess since it's so cheap, and a winchester, if I drop it in the mud I won't care as much as if it were a Marlin, but I'm worried that I might grow fond of this little rifle?

Anyone have any experience with the "shorter" marlin or Winchesters that'd sway the tables to make me put in the extra cash and carry the extra weight of the better gun? I know the Marlin is better, I'm just not certain it's worth $250 more to me to carry a pound heavier gun that needs a new stock and lever from day one......
Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: Marlin vs. Winchester leveractions?

I am big leaveraction fan.

To me the marlin only get the nod if i am looking at puting a scope on the gun.

to me the win is actualy the beeter gun.
it carrys and handles better.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I would not even consider buying a 94 over a Marlin. As much as I like Winchester the Marlin is a much better gun than the Winchester is or will ever be. They look better IMO, they are stronger, their parts fit better, they don't rattle around, peep sights can easily be mounted on the tang and the top or side of the receiver, and IMO the pistol grip stock is far more comfortable to hold because it does not twist my wrist like a straight stock does.

Are you that short that you would want a 12 1/2 inch length of pull? That is tiny. Your hand would literally be right under your chin with a LOP that short on an adult. I think it would be very akward (sp) shouldering a rifle that short.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

First deer rifle was a 94 30/30 and since then I have bought Marlins. You couldn't give me a Winchester especially the new ones.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not that I'm small that I want a short pull, I don't really worry about the pull...as long as it's not more than 1/4" longer than what fits me, I'll shoot them as short as they come...I'm used to shooting semiauto rifles like AR's or SKS's, also browning pistol "carbines" and semiauto carbines all with rather short pulls, and I do a lot of rabbit hunting with a "Snake Charmer" that has a 10" pull!!!!

This isn't going to be a long range hunting rifle, nor will it really be my "hunting rifle", it's just basically going to be a fun gun to have on me at all times...so I'm really attracted to the low price,
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 AM

I have a Marlin 444s and love it. I got it primarily for bear (haven't got one yet). I took a 250lb wild boar at 30 yards running. He hit the ground like a rock. Guide said he never saw one die that quick. It shoots great and is alot more accurate than I expected. I punched a deer at 75 yards broadside behind the shoulders and it ran 50 yards. Shoot both and I think you will pick the Marlin!
Tim
Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm well aware of the capabilities fo the marlins, I've got 5 of them in various models already however, I'm curious as to the performance specifically of the Marlin youth vs. the Win. 94 Ranger Compact, or AT LEAST the performance of NEW Winchester 94's to rate how well I'd be satisfied with the 94 Ranger, if I'd be satisfied, I'll save the money. I KNOW I'll be satisfied by the marlin.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Last I knew the ranger line from usrac had a birch stock. I had a new 94 ranger a couple of years ago and I only had it a few weeks before I sold it. I was not impressed with the quality. I'll stick to my marlins.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not had any of the newer winchesters. That said I prefer the 94 to carry as the are lighter and easy to handle. For quality or if longer range(past 100 yard) is involved I would choose the Marlin. I do feel they are s stronger and more accurate shooter.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:40 PM

From what you're actually asking, I'd say to get the Winchester. You know Marlins, and apparently have a pretty specific reason for wanting a compact .30-30. So sure, get the Winchester.

I have to agree with you that spending an extra $250 for a heavier gun seems like a big leap. Resale value will be closer to your original price, too--I can't imagine that anybody would pay $500 for a used Marlin Spikehorn.

The only thing is, I also can't imagine anyone paying $500 for a *new* Spikehorn. Isn't the street price closer to $400? If so, would that change your mind any?

Quick Reply: Marlin vs. Winchester leveractions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.