Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which remington semi?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:02 PM

Default which remington semi?

Im planning to get a remington semi-auto in 30-06 which model is best and what problems did any of them have. ANd to be honest I really do not plan to hunt with it I use bolt guns and single shoots. I just want it to add to the collection . you can never have to many. GUYs thanks for all the input but I DONT WANT a BAR a M 1 OR any other auto I jsut wanted soem info on the remington
Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which remington semi?

In my experience they are prone to jamming. I did hear that if you get rid of the magazine from the 7400 and replace it with a magazine from the 7600 (pump) that it cures alot of it. I don't even know if this is possible to do. If I were you I would just steer clear of the 7400 altogether.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

I am not a big fan of semi-auto big bores, but my father had a couple and got rid of both of them, just not the accuracy he was expecting, you also end up with a relatively long gun due to the action.

If that is not a concern, I would look at Benellis and Brownings semi-auto version, I have heard a lot of good stuff about them, they also seem to be comparably priced with the Remington.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:07 PM

I've never owned or shot a Remington semi-auto, so can't really comment on them other than I've read a lot on this and other forums about jamming problems. Just do a search and see what others have already said.

If you really want a semi-auto, save up a few extra pennies and get yourself a Browning BAR. There are none better!

As far as accuracy is concerned, a bolt action, in general, is more accurate than a semi-auto, otherwise you would see semi-auto's in the benchrest competitions.

However, as far as Browning BAR's are concerned, don't let anyone tell you they aren't accurate! I've got a BAR in 30-06 shooting 180Grn Sierra Game Kings on top of IMR-4831 that averages .58"CTC 3 shot groups at 100 Yds and groups with the Nosler Ballistic Tips average just a hair over MOA @ 100Yds. (Actually 1.3"CTC) My 200 Yd groups with these bullets are averaging in the 2-3" CTC range but I'm certian that's more a factor of my lack of practice @ 200 Yds.

Now there are probably a lot of bolt action guns out there that can shoot better groups than that, and if you're looking to get into benchrest shooting....go get you a good bolt action. However; if you're getting the gun for hunting.......Well, I'm getting consistent MOA or better groups with my BAR, and I guarantee you that the game you shoot won't be able to tell the difference between a MOA (or better) shot from a semi-auto and an Sub-MOA (or better) shot from a bolt action.....LOL

firstshot
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a 7400 for a very short time. Do yourself a big favour and get the 7600 instead. Surprisingly accurate and they don't jam. Every 7400 I have been around jammed. I you must have a semi then buy the BAR!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Remington semi autos essentially beat them selves up simplly by shooting them. Some of this has been rectified with the newer models but it has not been eleminated all together. The rotating lugs will continue to rotate as the bolt reaches its rearward most point in the receiver thus beating themselves into the frame rails. Over time, if you shoot it enough they could beat up the frame rails bad enough to render the gun useless.

If you want a semi auto rifle get a BAR. Personally I won't own a semi auto rifle. They are much more prone to jamming than a bolt and they are succeptable to the bolt sticking in extreme cold weather.

Buy a bolt action and save yourself some possible headaches.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Browning BAR version of the Remington is better
Old 08-27-2004, 07:34 AM

http://www.box-family.com/hunting/hunting_742.html
40 years old.
Run 3 shells through it a year. 2 shells with 'tree rest' to sight in, and one to bag my deer.
Sights are spot on at 100 yards.
I don't store my ammo in my 'magazines' (corrected for the anal-retentive poster listed next) since that is known to wear the spring, I get no loading problems.
Properly cleaned, properly oiled, no jams.

Auto's are not necessarily higher maintenance. But you have to get to know the gun.
Different Ammo, Different Oils, etc. But once you get it dialed in, you should be golden.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 PM

It's a magazine, not a clip.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya want to add a Self loading 30-06 to the collection you should consider a M-1 Garand much finer lookin piece then that plain old lookin 7400 POS huntin gun. The gas system on them is junk not built to last you would be lucky to put 3,000 rounds through before having problems with it.

Quick Reply: which remington semi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.