Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which remington semi?

Old 08-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Default RE: which remington semi?

ORIGINAL: 3DNWV

Im planning to get a remington semi-auto in 30-06 which model is best and what problems did any of them have. ANd to be honest I really do not plan to hunt with it I use bolt guns and single shoots. I just want it to add to the collection. you can never have to many.
If you just want to look at it.....I'd still go with the Browning. Can't beat the fit & finish.

But if you decide to shoot it.....Well, here are a couple of 100 Yd 3 shot groups I shot with my 30-06 BAR.

..................squares are 1/2"......................................Shoot-N-See is 5 1/2" diameter.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. After all, like you said, "you can never have to many"

Luck
firstshot
Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Did you guys read the original post? I thought he wasn't interested in hunting with the rifle or in brownings or garands.
I own a 740 in .30-06 that was bought in 1957 and it still shoots well enough to kill deer at normal michigan shooting ranges. I even took this rifle to wyoming last fall as my backup. I've got a few belted magnums and some other flat shooting bolt actions but they are no better out to 250yds.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: biggunz.45-70

Did you guys read the original post? I thought he wasn't interested in hunting with the rifle or in brownings or garands.
I own a 740 in .30-06 that was bought in 1957 and it still shoots well enough to kill deer at normal michigan shooting ranges. I even took this rifle to wyoming last fall as my backup. I've got a few belted magnums and some other flat shooting bolt actions but they are no better out to 250yds.
biggunz......3DNWV edited his original post right after I submitted my last post with the target pics. I did miss the "I really do not plan to hunt with it" part in the original post, but had I known "I DONT WANT a BAR a M 1 OR any other auto I jsut wanted soem info on the remington", I certainly wouldn't have wasted my time or anyone elses posting anything on the BAR.

firstshot
Old 08-29-2004, 06:44 PM

Maybe an older Remington 742? Rifles in good condition have a lot of shooting left in them.

A few months ago, I found a Remington 742 carbine in .30-06, and it's a great rifle. Tons of muzzle blast, but it shoots just fine--straight and predictably out to 100 yards (the farthest I've shot it). It's going to be keeping me company on opening day of deer season this year.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some information that I've gleaned from working at a deer rifle sight-in clinic over the last 5 or 6 years.
I've seen litterally hundreds of remington semiautos over the years- if I were to judge by what I see there, they would be the most prominant and numerous rifles used in my neck of the woods, except that the people who show up to these clinics aren't avid shooters, and for the most part are just pure deer hunters. Most of the people who have access to ranges tend to not come to these events.

Jamming- I haven't observed pesonally- my brother in law and father-in-law both use remington semis and I haven't heard a jamming problem from them- but once again the two of them probably shoot a combined total of 6 shots per year and if they are lucky, another shot at a deer. At the range, during the deer rifle sightin clinic- we only allow single loading for safety sake- once again no jamming. For the most part- the remingtons will have no problems with the first shot, but I can't say anything about what will happen after that.

Accuracy- They all seem capable of hitting what a person is aiming at and certainly would be efective at 100 yards. On the other hand, they sem to suffer pretty badly once 3 or 4 shots have been put through them. The way the barrel is mounted, it has alot of stresses on it when it heats up- kind of the opposite effect you would get from 'free-floating' a bolt action barrel. Every rifle seems to shoot differently- most will have a change in point of impact of around 4" some will have changes up to 1', a very very rare few will shoot 6 or 7 in a row with only an 1"-2" change in impact.

Sighting in- because of the barrel warping issue, give yourself alot of time for sighting in. It might be best to take a shot, move your crosshairs, wait 5 minutes, shoot again, repeat until you have it zeroed. If you try zeroing it while the barrel is warmed up, you'll be chasing your tail.

My informed opinion on them- they work, and if used for hunting, its likely you'll only take one maybe two shots at most with it, so its perfectly suitable for that, though I don't understand the point of a semiauto that has accuracy problems after being fired a few times in a matter of minutes. For the money, I personally would rather get a bolt action. If I were to buy a big bore semiauto for target shooting, I would skip it altogether and get a M1, M1A, or Browning BAR, which are all much better suited for firing more than a handful of shots per session.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

3DNWV...

You should have told us you were sold on the remington off the bat... We wouldn't have wasted our time telling you about the BAR...

I should add something to my original post... There was no jamming problems with the guns my father had.

Just a question, why aren't you interested in the BAR? It is my understanding that it is a superior semi-auto to the remington. I have seen it and it definately is a better looking gun.

Hey will all have our prejudices... But I have nothing against Remingtons, I believe that they make the best reasonably priced bolt action rifle (the 700) bar none. There semi-auto and pump shotguns in my opinion are also very nice guns.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

Here's some information that I've gleaned from working at a deer rifle sight-in clinic over the last 5 or 6 years.
I've seen litterally hundreds of remington semiautos over the years- if I were to judge by what I see there, they would be the most prominant and numerous rifles used in my neck of the woods, except that the people who show up to these clinics aren't avid shooters, and for the most part are just pure deer hunters. Most of the people who have access to ranges tend to not come to these events.

Jamming- I haven't observed pesonally- my brother in law and father-in-law both use remington semis and I haven't heard a jamming problem from them- but once again the two of them probably shoot a combined total of 6 shots per year and if they are lucky, another shot at a deer. At the range, during the deer rifle sightin clinic- we only allow single loading for safety sake- once again no jamming. For the most part- the remingtons will have no problems with the first shot, but I can't say anything about what will happen after that.

Accuracy- They all seem capable of hitting what a person is aiming at and certainly would be efective at 100 yards. On the other hand, they sem to suffer pretty badly once 3 or 4 shots have been put through them. The way the barrel is mounted, it has alot of stresses on it when it heats up- kind of the opposite effect you would get from 'free-floating' a bolt action barrel. Every rifle seems to shoot differently- most will have a change in point of impact of around 4" some will have changes up to 1', a very very rare few will shoot 6 or 7 in a row with only an 1"-2" change in impact.

Sighting in- because of the barrel warping issue, give yourself alot of time for sighting in. It might be best to take a shot, move your crosshairs, wait 5 minutes, shoot again, repeat until you have it zeroed. If you try zeroing it while the barrel is warmed up, you'll be chasing your tail.

My informed opinion on them- they work, and if used for hunting, its likely you'll only take one maybe two shots at most with it, so its perfectly suitable for that, though I don't understand the point of a semiauto that has accuracy problems after being fired a few times in a matter of minutes. For the money, I personally would rather get a bolt action. If I were to buy a big bore semiauto for target shooting, I would skip it altogether and get a M1, M1A, or Browning BAR, which are all much better suited for firing more than a handful of shots per session.
Im glad to see not everyone is bashing these guns I personally have a remington 7400 semi auto 30-06 and its been a great gun when I first shot it and i mean the first couple of shells through it, it did jam a couple of times but it was brand new and had never had a single shell put through it but since then it hasent done it with a full mag., half full mag. or an empty one. One guy before said it wouldent last 3,000 shots and I personally thought "who shoots 3,000 rounds of 30-06 ammo?" I sight in my rifle at the begenning of the season and usually shoot 3 shots if its on then im happy if its off I shoot till its right. then after that if I shoot im shooting at a deer so I usualy dont put a box of shells through it a year and I have yet to have a single complaint im very happy with my gun and I did shoot one time for fun and put about 10 shells through and diddent notice any movement and its a BEAUTIFUL gun I have the one with the longer barrel 22" i think? and its got the hard wood stock and engraved reciever with sheep on 1 side and elk on the other and I love this gun and theres alot of people I know whith them who are plenty happy granted there not competition shooter they just hunt with them but im very happy with my gun and im betting most of the people who bash them are just repeating something they read some where or herd from a friend of a friend
Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally thought "who shoots 3,000 rounds of 30-06 ammo?"
Not me, I haven't been shooting much more than 500 rds of '06 per year
Old 08-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 7400 in a .270 for 10 years. I have very mixed opinons about this rifle. If I had the old red box federal 130 gr. shells it shot without a problem and good accuracy . If I shot remington shells it would jam every shot . After reloading several rounds I could never make one that wouldnt jam. So back to the ferderals and no problem. I was hunting opening morning of 2001 with it and the buck of a life time appered from no where about 10 yrds under my stand . The deer was so close i had a hard time seeing him in my scope. (4x12x40) I looked at him with my eye and then in my scope thought i was on chest and squezzed the trigger I hit him high . I needed another shot he went about 30 yards and stopped , when I pulled up to shoot it never put another round in the chamber. Yes I should of waited but I got caught in moment and rushed but that does'nt excues the rifle. That was the last hunting trip for my 7400 it is now history.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

jeez dan that close you dont even need sights you could have shot off your hip and hit him. I plastered a deer a few years back with a slug from my mossberg 500 with a 18.5 inch cylinder bore no sights just a bead it was about a 25 yard shot.

Quick Reply: which remington semi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.