Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 MM QUESTION

Old 08-19-2004, 01:08 PM

Default 7 MM QUESTION

What is the difference between the 7MM and 7MM STW. Any info would be helpful

THANKS
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7 MM QUESTION

Which 7mm? are you asking about?

Now the 7stw was a wildcat cartage that was started by some people at shooting times.
its a 8mm rem mag necked down to 7mm.

If the 7mm in ? is a 7mm rem mag the stw is faster i belive its evan faster than the 7mm weatherby but its slower than the 7mm rem ultra mag.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ummmmm, long story...

7mm is the diameter of the bore or .284."

Now there are several cartridges based on that "caliber" (7mm).

Each of these cartridges has its own characteristics for case design, length, etc, etc, etc.

The "cartridges" came about mainly because someone felt they could do better than another cartridge of the same caliber for some reason or another.

Now with that said, here is a partial list of some the the more popular 7mm cartridges.

I think the 7mm you are reffering to is the 7mm Remington Magnum, introduced by Remington can't remember when.

The 7mm STW (shooting times western) was a wildcat that was developed to increase the potential of the 7mm bullet.

Among other 7mm cartridges are the 7mm Mauser (7x57), the 7mm-08, 7-30 Waters, 7mm Weatherby, 7mm WSM, and the 7mm RUM (Remington Ultra Mag). I left out a lot of factory cartridges also available, as well as many wildcats that are out there. These are some of the more popular ones. Each was designed to do one thing that someone wanted it to do.

A good website that has info on the cartridges, both wildcat and factory is www.reloadbench.com

It has good info on the many cartridges that are out there. Just click on the info for wildcat and factory rifle cartridges and read more info. HAVE FUN!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

7MM STW is a 8MM Rem mag case necked down to .284 bullet. The larger case inturn will create velocity, energy and Trajectory gains using the comparable .284 bullet. The actual gains will be approx 300fps faster/energy equating to less drop at the same ranges over the 7mm Rem Mag. For those who shoot 300plus yard they will notice a big gain in performance, for those shooting upto 300 yards while gains will still be seen it would not really lend itself as a huge benefit for these type situations. Basically flatter and more umf running the same .284 bullet and a great choice for long distance shooters who reloads!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter pretty much nailed this one..If your interested in some reloads try www.reloadersnest.com
Old 08-19-2004, 03:00 PM

Sorry about the lack of info, I want to buy a new rifle (not that I need another)--- the sako 75 caught my eye--I do not have a 7 mm of any type, trying to fill the void, my question should have been which one would be recommended 7 MM REM MAG, ULTRA MAG OR STW. I do not reload, most of my shots would be uder 300 yards---- not worried about kick, I plan to use it for deer, bear & moose

THANKS
Old 08-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do not have a 7 mm of any type, trying to fill the void, my question should have been which one would be recommended 7 MM REM MAG, ULTRA MAG OR STW. I do not reload, most of my shots would be uder 300 yards---- not worried about kick, I plan to use it for deer, bear & moose
On the criteria of factory ammo alone I'd opt for the 7mm rem mag. Ammo selection, availabilty and price are the best for this popular 7mm offering. It certainly will handle your game as well, I use mine as my all arounder(as do a lot of other hunters in our area) which includes loper, bear, deer, moose and elk. There is no doubt it will roll over black bear, about the only ones I'd want more would be the big bears (browns, griz.). Most factory ammo have grain choice of 140-175gr, more than enough to find the right combo for your hunting needs. Couple that with its popularity and you have choice of newer technology unlike some other cartridges.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Makoman, I have the Sako SS 75 in 7 stw and it is one fine rifle..if you can buy it at the price they are asking do it, you'll never find them cheaper. If you don't reload pass on it .
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now there are 11 factory loads offered for the 7mm STW ranging from 140 gr., 145 gr., 150 gr., and 160 gr. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Handloader1 and most of them are way underloaded and rather expensive. I will not pay 25-30 dollars for a box of plain Remington 140 grain corelockts at either Walmart(most expensive) or local gun shop(cheapest)

Quick Reply: 7 MM QUESTION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.