Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

walmart guns

Old 08-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: walmart guns

Most of the people who work the sporting goods at the Walmarts in my area are very good, some are even better than most of the people who work the gun counters at the local Gander Mountains. When I go to Walmart and as for Winchester value pack .45s or 9mms, they know right where they are loacated, when I ask a hunting license or regulation question, they know the answer, when I ask about one of the guns they have on display (though a very limited number of guns) they know something about them- this is a far cry better than the service I get at other places that know little about the guns they sell except the blue book value on them, know nothing about the hunting licenses, but will toss you a book to look etc.

I'd have to say that the least knowledgeable gun counter workers I've come across universally work at Dunham's- worst of all, I've never had one open and clear the action of a rifle before handing it to me.[:@]
Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

The gun shops cost too much in my opinion. Yeah I know that they are small in all but I have a budget and a family so where I get a deal is where I buy.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I scratched wal-mart off my list a long time ago. Academy moved into town with better selection and equal pricing. But I still frequent two of the local gunshops. Their prices aren't far off, but they have a great selection. I won't buy a gun I haven't been able to handle and inspect. The gunshops usually have one of nearly everything in stock, so I check the price at the Academy, then come back to negotiate what I feel is a fair price.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:07 PM

Wal Mart guns look great since they have big industry leading names, although they normally offer the bottom grade guns of the company. Most consumers don't realize they have less features and just recognize the name and the price. This also goes for scopes. But Wal Mart has its place for the frugile gun owner.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

Any more I go for the best deal no matter where it is. The local gun shops are not doing me any favors
handloader1, I agree 100%. I get pissed when I walk into a sporting goods store & the guy at the gun counter is the same guy that sells tennis shoes. The lack of training or information about the products they are selling gets my blood boiling. I hate it when you know what rifle & caliber you want & they try to sell you another brand or caliber.
The following is a conversation I had with a salesman at a gun store.
Can you get me some Norma 338-06 brass?
Answer: I have never heard of Norma, are they a new company? Do you want brass for a 338-winchester & a 30-06?
No I want brass for a 338-06.
I have never heard of a 338-06? are you sure you don't mean a 338-winchester or 338-ultra mag?
I told him the 338-06 was a wildcat cartridge that Weatherby chambered it in a few of there guns.
He said the only 338's I could be talking about would be a 338-winchester or 338-Ultra mag. He also said I must be confused because the 338 case was too big to fit into a 30-06?
I left the store at this point.
What a dumb s--t! This didn't happen at DICKS by chance, did it?? I asked the guy at the gun counter at my local DICKS for a set of 1" Millet Angle-Lock mount rings for the 3/8" .22 Tipoff base, which they had displayed in a package on the wall behind the counter. For the life of him, the turkey behind the counter couldn't understand what I was asking for, even when I pointed to them. I had to go behind their counter myself and take them off the peg for this dufus, and he nearly came unglued!! Can't have a customer behind the counter, don't cha know!! I told him to study his merchandise!!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:48 PM

I'll be honest, I wouldn't dream of going to Wal-Mart with a special request like that. (In all seriousness, wouldn't you have better luck on the internet?)

I need to get my hunting license, I was in a Wal-Mart today, and with no one around the Sporting Goods counter, I figured it would be a waste of time even to ask about that. I can't imagine how I'd explain needing a white-wing dove stamp to an employee who usually sells DVDs.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

a marlin in a walmart is the same as the marlin in a sporting goods store.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just glad I live near two hunting/shooting stores, and one of them is Cabela's
Old 09-10-2004, 10:16 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Havn't bought one at walmart but bought a savage at Kmart about 2 years ago. a great deal....even though the scope came apart the first season. It was all about money. I'd buy one at walmart too. At my local Walmart one of the guys who works there is a retired police officer who has been hunting and shooting longer than I've been alive. HE knows the game laws like the back of his hand. He's friendly and helpful and they carry a pretty good selection of stuff. I also have two old style gun shops within20 minutes of me. I go there as well. I like to give them my business when I can. I'm about to put some decent glass on my '06 and the price I'll get at the gun store is almost as good as if ordered it on the net. They'll mount it and bore sight it as well. Can't get that from the net. It's a mix and match world. I'll pay a bit extra for service that makes me feel appreciated. I'll also stop shopping at a place that seems to take me for granted.

David