Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to clean a lens???????

Old 08-18-2004, 05:55 AM

Default How to clean a lens???????

How and what does everyone use to clean their lens on their scopes and binos? I have corn dust on my lens. The covers flipped open when I was throwing out corn.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:27 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: How to clean a lens???????

Use a nice Ziess camera cleaning kit with a brush. Lightly brush off the corn. Then use the patches and solution with the kit.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of those old fashioned camera lense cleaning kits..one with the squeeze bulb and use that first..followed by the brush and like BC said use Zeiss or Swarovski cleaning paper and you'll be fine. If the lense is really clean and you smudge it use a Lenspen
Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I concur a quality camera kit is money well spent. Another option is a can of compressed air to remove the debris, it can be found at most electronic type stores as it used to clean computer boards and electronic components. Please don't run out to the shop or garage and use an air compressor though...this is to much force.

Also clean only when required, excessive cleaning can result in shorting or damage to the coatings on the lens surface.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a Leupold lenspen that I like.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM

A camera cleaning kit for thorough cleaning. I use a lens cloth for light cleaning and polishing. Just don't use your shirttail!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Zeiss kit now, but I use to use a Middway kit. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:26 AM

I too have used a lens pen in the past, but Sunday I watched a TV show where a rep from Swarovski (sp) stated "never use a lens pen. They rapidly take on the grit the brush leaves behind and continue to grind it and newly acquired grit into the lens. Use a soft brush or compressed air first, followed by a soft, clean cloth with liquid lens cleaner to finish." Makes sense to me! From now on, I will use only the brush end of my lens pen and use a liquid cleaner when I get home. Your mileage may vary!