Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS

Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default SKS

I have a SKS- 56 I would like to remove the fixed box magazine and replace it with a detachable box mag. Has anyone done this and could you give me a step by step guide.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SKS

Alright, if no one else will tell him, I guess since I'm probably younger and dumber than this feller, it's safe to say I'm not "helping him be young and dumb".....
Lock the bolt open on the bolt stop before doing anything.

Behind the trigger gaurd there is a rounded tab with a hole in it, press this forward and pull up out on the trigger guard, the trigger group will pop out and the box mag will come out at this point. Simply replace the trigger group and the detachable mags will pop in and out. You'll notice the body of your box mag has a large lump at the rear just below the mouth that locks it into the gun, detach mags don't have this.

If you've got a wooden stock on yours, you'll likely need to do some sanding on your mag well in order to make the detach mags work well, on most of them I've had, the well is too small and pinches the mags (if you can get them in at all) to the point that the follower stops at about three rounds and you jam up.

Mind you, mag capacities over 5rnds are illegal for hunting, not that the original mag IS legal, but moreso than a 30rnd detachable magazine.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe more then 5 rounds is illegal in Kansas for hunting but in Missouri 10 rounds is legal but anymore is not.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:34 PM

I had that done to mine. I just took it to my local gunsmith. He modified the 10 round box magazine which can now be used as a removable magazine. I have a 5 rounder for it, and he is working on a high cap mag for me for it. As far as removable magazines that you can buy at gun shows for it, you have to be carefull, because alot of them have problems with fitting, and function/reliability.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 PM

I had a 30 round mag put on mine and took it off and threw it away it jammed about every other shot was,nt worth it to me to have a few extra rounds.the sks was not designed for detachable mags in the first place but hey you may have better lick than i did
Old 08-29-2004, 05:30 PM

I had a 30 rounder and literally gave it away. It never fit right, always jammed, and was made out of the cheapest plastic you've ever seen.

Stay with the standard 10 round it came with.