Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single Six Newbie

Old 08-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Single Six Newbie

I found a single six liberty edition from 1976 at the local gunshop today in 22lr, and picked it up for around 225 bucks, anyone know if this was a good deal or not. It is in good shape with only 2 minor scratches, but my only problem with it, I know this is going to sound dumb, is how in the world do I open the cylinder to load it? This is my first experience with a revolver and I know I sound really dumb, but I am getting frustrated on trying to figure this thing out. Thanks Guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Default RE: Single Six Newbie

On the right side of the pistol, between the back of the cylinder and the hammer is a "gate" With your thumb pull the gate out to the side. Then you can load one round and rotate the cylinder to load another and so on
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM

i'm not framiliar with that make of gun but on some of my revolvers you have to pull the hammer to half cock in order to rotate the cylinder for loading after you open the gate.

if this is your first pistol be safe, mistakes are more frequent with pistols due to the short barrel.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Alright I figured it out, thanks wyote, It was soo easy, I was making it more complicated then it really was, I just didn't see the pull out part. This is my first revolver but I am sure it will be fun for plinking cans in the backyard, anyone else like their single six?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:56 PM

sounds like a fairly good deal to me, did it come with the 22 mag cylinder also? they are great little guns. i would suggest you be extremely carefull as this is your first revolver, become very familiar with its operation before you put any ammo in it.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one of the early ones in 1956. I love the Single Six, and all the rest of Ruger's single-action revolvers. They're great guns!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Well I just got back from the range, and it was a blast to shoot. I couldn't believe how simple it is to operate, it is almost idiot proof. Thanks for the help guys, and yes it came w/ 3 extra cylinders, 1 extra in 22lr and 2 in 22mag. So hopefully I got a pretty good deal. It is from 1976 and it is in real good shape.