Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions about a rifle for lawn/porch hunting

Old 08-04-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Opinions about a rifle for lawn/porch hunting

I live on the outskirts of a rural town. However, I do have neighbors to the south of me. I have an open pasture to the north of me which coyotes and other preditors frequent (maybe ever the occasional small hog). What I want is a quiet centerfire rifle to take them out with. I don't want to disturb my neighbors during the day and at night with the report of gun fire. I do reload, but I don't want to load down a particular cartrige just to make less noise. I haven't shot any centerfire lower than a 243 which is too loud. I do have a 17hmr, but I am looking for a centerfire. I was thinking about a 22-250 or a 223. Any opinions would help. Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 04:19 PM

Default RE: Opinions about a rifle for lawn/porch hunting

You would be really surprised how loud the .223 and .22-250 can be under most circumstances. IMHO, if you are looking for a quiet centerfire I think your best bet is probably going to be the .22 hornet.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

The Hornet is about as quiet as you can get in a center fire. You could also down load it somewhat for a slightly milder report but with a resultant loss in power. You would have to experiment.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:35 PM

take the glass and screen out of the front porch window, replace it with a tight piece of clear thin plastic sheet. move the couch out and put your shooting bench about 5 feet from the window, close all the doors and windows, let rip.

good luck with the mrs. []
Old 08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gun club I belong to is close to town so our rifle range has a 10 ft long tunnel made of car tires to absorb some of the muzzle blast. Looks weird but it does help some.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

how far away and waht direction is the neighbor?? if they are pretty far and the total opposite way your shooting which i think is right? then noise wont be too bad at all.....they might hear a little crack.....but it wont sound like it does to you right there.....gunfire is noticible far away but its not load.....heck i doubt you can hear it in a house most times if your shooting the opposite way and arent really close to the house.....
Old 08-04-2004, 10:59 PM

The gun club I belong to is close to town so our rifle range has a 10 ft long tunnel made of car tires to absorb some of the muzzle blast. Looks weird but it does help some.
Thats what those tires are for? Cool I didn't know that.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

The gun club I belong to is close to town so our rifle range has a 10 ft long tunnel made of car tires to absorb some of the muzzle blast.
Might as well put a giant pile of corn straight out from it while you're at it to stop the critters in the middle of your 225/75/R15 scope.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

17 remington if you can find one is very quiet and deadly
Old 08-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

.22 hornet