Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzle break id clearance

Old 08-03-2004, 04:51 PM

Default muzzle break id clearance

how much clearance should there be on the inside of the muzzle break and should an unfired bullet pass through it easily? mine seems to hang a new bullet about half way from both ends.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzle break id clearance

IMO there should be some clearance .on my Winchester BOSS 30-06 there is about .02 per side ,just checked.
Who put it on ?
Is there pressure signs?
Are the groups afected ?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:36 PM

well a case came apart, but others at the same charge and higher did not and they were all below max charge. I suspect a bad case from past reloading.
as for the groups, I'm going to load some more and try them without the break. one load had three shots overlapping each other, the others were about 1 - 2 inches.
a local "expert" in town built it and put it on. I'll call him tomorrow and see what he has to say.

John, your boss id is .340? I would expect .020 - .040 clearance to allow for any machining errors at the end of the barrel to the id of the barrel and the break thread to bore of the break. I need to get some plug gauges to check the id of the break through the length and to the id of the barrel.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is right around .350
.308 + .02 per side
It may have been cheaper in the long run to send it out .
Old 08-04-2004, 04:46 PM

ok, took the gun back to the 'smith. the KDF was put on some time ago, I took it to 'smith long ago and was told there was not a problem. anyway his son is the new 'smith and he checked it over and one of the port holes on the KDF had a burr on the inside. he reamed it out to +.012, assembled and test fired. no indication of any inside contact with the bullet. hope this fixes it. need to load up some and test the groups both with and without the break. I don't hunt with the break on, only target shoot with it.