Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm-08

Old 08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08

I have been look at a remington 700 mountain LLS in 7mm08,pretty stock and nice looking and feeling gun,but is it a shooter or more remington junk?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Don't have one in a mtn rifle but do have the classic and it is no junk,it really shoots.Tried out some varget and 120 gr sierras and using a friend s chrony (pact) I got avg 3154 fps which is pretty close to book vel.It has a 24 in barrel which I like also.
May want to check out the new CDL,think they have the 24 in barrel too.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 AM

Very nice caliber - easy on the shoulder and very accurate! Only reason I sold the one I had was because you could not chamber the heavier 7mm bullets,(which I like) without contacting the rifle lands while crimping on the bullet cannelure. If rifle manufactures would throat the 7mm-08s just a tad longer and give 'em a 24 inch tube it would be hard to beat for all around hunting excepting the nasty stuff!!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:56 AM
DM

Only reason I sold the one I had was because you could not chamber the heavier 7mm bullets,(which I like) without contacting the rifle lands while crimping on the bullet cannelure.
I'm wondering why you felt you needed to crimp those bullets in?????

In a bolt action with a case anywhere near as small as the 308's i've NEVER crimped a bullet in, and i've loaded 10's of thousands of them for my self and for resale, with out even one complaint!!!

In my opinion, in cases like this, (pun intended) "crimping" is very over rated and just not needed.

Drilling Man

Old 08-18-2004, 11:41 AM

Default RE: 7mm-08; In reply to DM...

I like to use bullet cannelures because of one main reason. The foremost reason I use them and like to crimp on them for hunting purposes is for safety. To me, safety comes first and with caliber heavies I do not even want the possibility of projectiles sliding rewards in the cartridge case - not even the slightest amount. The people that make bullets make these crimping grooves for a reason - they make their living making these bullets and the cannelure is there for a good reason. I for one simply do not prefer to, or see sense in, seating a heavy for caliber bullet with a short ogive deep in any cartridge case whether it is a 7mm-08 or 308 or whatever. That situation negates the advantages of the short and effecient cartridge to begin with by taking up valuable powder space and increasing the possibility that under recoil, a short ogive can begin to cause the bullets in unfired cartridges to slide backwards. No pun intended but that is just the way I see it. This is the main reason I do not particularly like the newer short magnum cartridges - most everyone says they are the best thing since sliced bread but I generally do not agree with that view - because of their short necks and having to mainly use caliber nominal weight bullets in a so-called 'magnum' case. For targets though, I believe that you are right on in your view of not needing to crimp at all. For all of the above reasons - that is why I prefer the 7X57 over the 7mm-08. And why if I had to choose a 300 magnum cartridge I would choose the 300H&H over the 300 winchester magnum.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Love my stainless Remington 700 in 7m-08. I could shoot that all day. Great accuracy, mild recoil and light weight. Perfect whitetail rifle. Wouldn't doubt it could easily handle elk as well. From the sound of what has been written on this string I'm not in the minority.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 08-18-2004, 01:13 PM

I've had one for years. I'd have to say that it's probably one of the best all around rifles you can own. I load a Nosler BT in 140 gr. Absolutely hammers deer.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
DM

merlin,

I'm NOT trying to change your mind, but i assure you there are NO safety issues in this case!!!

When i had my ammo mfg. license, i literally loaded 10's of thousands of un-crimped rounds, and NOT just for targets! If you are properly takeing care of your cases, they just don't need to be crimped!! I speak from years and years of loading NEW ammo and reloads for sale, as i designed and loaded ammo for a liveing.

Anyway, good luck with your reloading projects,

Drilling Man