Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Super Redhawk cylinder unlocking with recoil! What gives?

Old 07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger Super Redhawk cylinder unlocking with recoil! What gives?

I took my Ruger SRH .454 Casull out to the range today to shoot a new load workup and started seeing double strikes on the primers by the firing pin. Upon closer observation I discovered that the cylinder was unlocking during recoil allowing the cylinder to turn slightly out of battery causing the double firing pn impressions in the primers (one solid dent from the hit that fired the cartridge, and one shallow dent from the pin after the cylinder moved).

The load I'm using is well within the safe area for .454 Casull, and the recoil really isn't as bad as other loads I've tried with heavier bullets, but this is the first time I've had problems. I also fired 50 rounds of .45 Colt through it today loaded to roughly .44 Mag recoil levels without any problems at all.

My load is right out of the Hornady manual with a 240gr XTP-Mag bullets at a chronographed 1680fps.

I did note that the latch that locks the cylinders rotation is held in place when the pistol is in battery by spring tension only, but it seems to me that the spring ought to be strong enough to hold the latch in place even under the heavy recoil of the .454 Casull, but is it possible that this spring might have gone weak already? The revolver only has about 300 rounds through it.

Mike
Old 07-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Super Redhawk cylinder unlocking with recoil! What gives?

Send it back to Ruger.They have a great repair policy. Call find out where to send it and sweettalk them you may get them to send you a pick-up ticket(free shiping). Just take off and scope or after market parts.