Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to remove bluing

Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Default how to remove bluing

i have an older single shot .22 bolt action that im lookin to reblue cuz of some rust and just wear over the years but i cant find anything that will remove the bluing.

only thing i can think of is fine steel wool but that would take waaaay to long.

any checmicals i can use to take it off?

ch312

PS. ive got some hoppes 9 gun blue...does it work good or is there sumthin better? any tips/tricks that would help me out?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how to remove bluing

If you are planning on bluing the entire rifle DO NOT use any of the cold blue products. They will not produce professional looking results and you will most likely be very unhappy with the finished product. These products are for touch up only. If you want a blueing job done right it must be hot salts blued by a professional that is set up to do it.

Bluing is controled rusting, believe it or not. If your gun is rusted to the point that it has created some pitting the only way to get it out is to abrasive/ sand blast it. Just sanding alone will not remove the rust and it will continue to rust even after it has been reblued.

Once you start sanding on a spot to remove any surface rust you will need to sand the entire rifle and all visual metal surfaces. You will not get the sanded spot to look like the rest of the gun unless the entire gun is sanded down, the entire gun must be sanded down if you want to reblue the rifle.

Basically if you really want to reblue your rifle you need to take it to a gunsmith that is set up to reblue. He will bead balst it to romove 100% of the rust, polish it to your desired finish if you want it polished, then hot salts blue it.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Naval jelly will remove blueing and rust you can get it at a hardware store . Just be careful of areas that you want to leave blued . Use outside the stuf stinks .
Old 07-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

i reblued my 410 shotgun a couple of years back i used emery cloth to take the old blueing off it works great. the barrel looks great im very happy with the results, just rebember to take your time and do a good job, get it nice a smooth.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:07 AM

Start with say 180 grit sandpaper, then work through the grades till you hit 600 wet/dry. Clean the entire bbl with rubbing alcohol, (I used Jack Daniels, one shot for the gun, one for me!) Wear rubber gloves to keep oil from your hands off the metal. Heat the metal with a hair blower, then apply Brownells Oxpho-Blue. Let it dry streaky, put some bluing on Extra-fine steelwool, and polish with it. Then use cvlean steel wool. Repeat this four or five times. I did a winchester like this, and it turned out quite well. Good luck.