Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 94 Big Bore Cartridges...?

Old 02-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default Winchester Model 94 Big Bore Cartridges...?

I would like to get as much feedback as possible as to why Winchester Model 94 Big Bore rifles in .375 and .356 Winchester are getting premium prices on the market? Are these cartridges themselves good cartridges, or is it the combination of the cartridge and rifles that seems to sell so well? I've noticed that you rarely see them in pawn shops and gun stores. Why not? Why is it that while they were being manufactured they didn't sell well, but now that they're not manufactured...they're selling out of the roof. I personally know half a dozen guys who are red hot to get them (and they'll pay a premium...$400 or so in 80 to 90 per cent condition) IF they can find them.

Thanks in advance for you replies,
BoltAction

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 02-24-2002, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Model 94 Big Bore Cartridges...?

Because the rifles have not been made in a while. I have been looking for a big bore for a couple of years and have found nothing but junk for premium prices.
There is nothing wrong with either of those cartridges. I have a .375 in an Encore and really like it.
It's the same old thing with cartrdges, some make it and some fall by the wayside. It doesn't mean that they are bad it's usually other reasons.
It will be interesting to see how many of the new "super mags" and other tricks of the year are around in ten years. The STW's are already starting to feel the pince from the factory mags.
I bought a Marlin Cowboy in 38/55,which is pretty close in size as the .375. It's fun to shoot and the gun is strong enough to reload to the .375 pressures if need be.
It's a new gun and I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Spike

Aunsaber, what calibers in the Winchester Big Bore series are you looking for? You mention that the only ones you have found so far have been "junk." What per centage do you estimate they were actually in? Were they rusty? Dings, scratches in the wood? One thing is certain: not many of them are see anywhere, yet they are in very high demand!

Take care,
BoltAction

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 02-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Boltaction, I was looking for just about any caliber they came in. The ones I have been able to find are what I would call 20 to 50% and start at $650 and go up. Some would have bad metal, poor bores, broken wood.
I like a little "character" but not for the prices they want.
It seems like there is a market for leverguns.
A friend just paid $400 for a Winchester 25/35 that would not have looked at twice.
I found a Savage99 in a Pawn shop for $500 but it had been messed with. Sights removed and drilled and tapped for a scope.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Spike

AUNSABER, there's definitely a market for lever guns. I have a hunch that it's not only their collectability, but it seems that there are still a lot of guys who love lever action rifles and who hunt with lever action rifles. I believe many of us hold to the "back to the basics" philosophy. Lever actions tend to be very dependable.

Regards,
Boltaction

Old 02-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I have an old lever action 40-65, Winchester Model 1886 with an octagon barrell. It weighs a ton but what an action. It was my Grandfathers. Is that big bore enough. I had to buy ammo from this special hand loaded stuff out of Vermont I believe it was. What a hunk of bullet. The family "Tale" that goes with it is that he once shot 2 deer standing side by side and dropped them both on the spot. Probably didn't happen, but that's the story that was passed on to my father.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:05 AM

I agree that the Winchester Big Bore is getting a little hard to find...but the prices you quoted are outlandish...about two issues back in the Shotgun News there were a couple of 375's listed, one Marlin, one Winchester... that were listed as being 90-95%, and selling for 250 dollars. I just traded for a Winchester at a gun show, and with my trade and some cash, have a little under 300 dollars in it... it is a little beat up, but the bore is 99-100%... I think you can find what you need if you just broaden your search a little.... and actually the 38-55 is ballistically the same cartridge, and you can still buy brass for it.... 375 brass is getting difficult to find, except at pirate prices... it's a good thing 30-30 brass is so plentiful... it makes GOOD cases for the 375....
Old 02-26-2002, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Hornetguy, ammunition is one thing I have on my side. There is a small place a feww miles out of town that has at least one box of almost everything.25/35 38/55 32/20 32/40 etc. If he doesn't have it he will get it.
Also our local Walmart can get alot of the "hard to find stuff".
By the way, up here they would say you stole that rifle. Thats a real good deal.
I had a guy offer me that much for a 30/30 Winchester made in 1967. I sold it to him knowing that I can get a new one for less than $250. And Winchester started useing nicer wood on their lever guns lately.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

davidmil, where did you get that ammo, i've been looking for some 8mm-06 ammo for a while and haven't had any luck, would you know if they make that caliber?
Old 02-26-2002, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

sorry, i forgot to mention that winchester also produces currently in thier models 94 bigbore and timber carbine the caliber .444 marlin, i purchased the bigbore in it about 2 years ago new for about $300.00 , is that big enough and affordable for you, it's a very good performing rifle

Quick Reply: Winchester Model 94 Big Bore Cartridges...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.