Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 question

Old 07-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger #1 question

Pro, what would consider older in the #1? That’s not the first time I hear about the older ones being better. I had inquired with Ruger about my rifle and they told me it was manufactured in 1977......Like you said to each his own.....
Old 07-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trailer...I had a newer one. I believe it was made in 98. It was a 22-250. It wasn't nearly as well built as one I had years ago that was made in the mid 70's. I didn't like the fit or finish as well on the newer one. I'm sorry I ever traded that older one.

I just like the feel of the Encore better. It's definitely no better gun...But the price of the dang #1's around here is outrageous! Even the nicer used ones are bringing $6-700.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:48 PM

Mine was made in 1996. Didn't shoot well at all. 2" at 100 yards. I ended up puting a thin shim under the forearm for pressure. It worked and i got groups down to 3/4". Overall i liked the gun. But i like the 700 fvs 308 i traded it for much better. But it is a completly different rifle.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Wile E.

All my number 1"s eject the empty case straight back towards you, there is nothing there to stop them other than the safety, but the button is lower than the cutout in the action. Below is a picture of #1 action, note the safety.

Here's another choice.........
While I do love the Ruger's another favorite is the Browning 1885. I think they are one of the most beautifull rifles made today. Note, this was J.M. Brownings first rifle design, although the present day M1885's do differ some. They have better wood than #1's and also have 28"octagon barrels but are slightly more exspensive. In the picture below, the red arrow is pointing to a ejector switch. You can make the cartridges eject to the left or right or as in this one, it is set to catch it. Just as with the Ruger's, you have a few choices in the M1885 ie. low wall, high wall, hunter, bp etc.

doubleA
Old 07-14-2004, 10:25 AM
etw

I love my #1. Bought it used, had been rechambered to 7STW from 7 Rem mag. Shoots great. Noticed the previous owner had placed a piece of double sticky backed foam between forearm and barrel. My Brother shot a Hog with it at 106 yds. hit it right between the eyes. Ejection is straight back. If I ease it open, a live round will just slide back for easy pick up, empties come straight back. I don't see the ejection as a problem for lefty (me) or righty. The shot has been made, the gun is off my shoulder, I'm going to put the empty in my pocket and go tag the critter.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Straight back, which isn't always handy, I'm used to shooting Marlin leverguns, so I jack out the round right into my forehead from time to time with my Two no.1's.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy it does me good to hear I'm not the only one to do that . I have three of them and you would think a person would learn after awhile . Hal
Old 07-16-2004, 10:51 PM

The #1 is ambidexterous, there is no difference side to side. Aside from shiming the forestock they usually shoot pretty well.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have a #1 in a 22-250 and it ejects the shells straight back
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a #1 in 7x57 mauser and it is a very good gun, my forgrip cracked for no reason and I sent it back to Ruger about 4 years later and they fitted and finished a new one that matched my but stock and was better then the original foregrip. They also put a new front and rear sight (i took off for a scope) and they replaced the falling block. They didn't charge me a dime. I love Ruger they make awsome guns and the #1 is not overpriced when you look at the Dakotas and Remington single shot rifles.

Quick Reply: Ruger #1 question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.