Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 70 and Zeiss 40mm, Which scope mounts?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Model 70 and Zeiss 40mm, Which scope mounts?

I have decided to go with the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for my model 70. I already have the two-piece bases from Leupold but I still need to get the rings(leupold). I know the scope should be as close the the barrel as possible so my question is what height should I use? I have researched and found that the medium rings will work, but I want to make sure. Also, I have read that with a larger caliber rifle and/or magnum it is a good idea to tap the factory base mounts to a larger diameter. My model 70 is a 7mm rem. mag., Do you think I should do this as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Model 70 and Zeiss 40mm, Which scope mounts?

Go with low rings . The 7 mag is one of the gentlest recoiling mags no worry about changing the mounting screw size..If your playing with anything above 338 you need to do that though.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:01 PM

I didn't know the low rings would fit so that's even better. My model 70 is the black shadow version so I am going with the matte rings, bases, and scope. It should look pretty good when I get it together. Thanks for the advice about the bases too.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now the only thing that can potentially bite is if the ocular housing can't slide forward enough and fit above the rear base and not give you optimum eye relieft. You may know this already but if not turn the scope up to highest magnification and move it forward while still maintaining a full image in the lens. Conquest has plenty of eye relief and is a nice fit for that rifle /combo. As a matter of fact a friend of mine just mounted a Zeiss 3-9 on a Model 70 he owns in 270 and he used Talley low rings which are a bit higher then leupold low rings. I have used low rings on Weatherby,Remington and Winchester (Leupold brand) and never had a problem with objectives 40mm or less.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont' know about the newer model 70's, but I've got a 3-9x40 Conquest on my pre-64 model 70 in low Talley mounts, which probably equate to medium Leupolds. The bolt handle barely clears the ocular bell. In fact it's so close I can't use the Butler Creek scope covers on the Conquest. I hope you don't have this problem. I may end up putting a scope with a smaller ocular bell on this rifle.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the low rings(Leupold) and see how it works out. I am getting the Zeiss at the end of the month.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:40 PM

MackRack,

I had the same scope mounted on my Win M70 Classic Sporter. I used Leupold Dual Dovetail rings, (which is all I use now except Conterol) and Leupold bases. The rings are the medium height. Plenty of room for the ocular bell and a butler creek scope cover, and not so high as to cause problems when lineing up a shot.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you use a single piece base you will need medium rings............... and if you use a two piece base you will need low rings. You can go with a higher ring if you need it for the best alignment with your eye.

If you go to Leupolds site and enter your gun and any of their 40mm scopes (VX-I, II, or III) this is what it tells you.

You will not need to drill and tap for larger screws with a 7mm mag.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

MackRack:

Since I don't know what bases you have I will give you a list of ring sizes according to two base information:

For Win. Model 70 (Long Action) Fits post war non-Express models (serial # higher than 66,360)

STD 70 RVR (2-piece): Low
STD 70 RVF/R (2-piece): Low
DD 70 (2-piece): Low
DD 70 RVF (2-piece): Low
QR 70 (2-piece): Low
QRW/PRW 70 (2-piece): Low
Mark 4 70 (2-piece): Med

I have the exact Conquest scope, and I measured the objective housing at 1.81", and the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40's objective housing is 1.8" (the above information corresponds to the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40). The Conquest scope is .39" longer which I don't think will make a difference if it was shorter than the Leupold scope it may make a difference.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have a very similar setup, I have the Mod 70 Featherweight with the Zeiss Conquest.

I used the Medium rings and it works just fine with me. One of the major plusses for me with the Conquest was the long eye relief, so I wanted to get it high enough off the receiver to take advantage of that. Either way, it's pretty low with the medium rings.

Quick Reply: Model 70 and Zeiss 40mm, Which scope mounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.