Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

500 S&W???

Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default 500 S&W???

I was wondering how many people have this monster and what the recoil is comparible to? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts on this gun.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 500 S&W???

I do not have one, but I've shot three different versions of the Model 500 and own a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull for comparison.

I would say that the recoil is comparable to a non-ported .454 Casull shooting full power loads for MOST .500S&W loads in most of the guns configurations. The major exception is the 4" version of the M500, which kicks like a SOB with any loads, due mostly to the much lighter weight of the 4" revolver. The 440gr loads also recoiled a bit harder than a 300gr .454Casull, even with the muzzlebrake.

Overall, with the exception of the 4" M500 which was a handful no matter what, the M500's recoil also felt a bit less sharp than the .454 Casull, probably because of the much lower pressures at work in the 500S&W, and muzzle flip was definately less pronounced due to the brake. I believe this also has a significant effect on how the recoil feels, because the M500 recoils more straight back into the palm of ones hand, while my non-ported SRH tends to place a lot more recoil energy into the web which makes it feel heavier than it is.

Having shot the M500 I will admit that it is an impressive pistol, but not as severe in the recoil dept. as I anticipated. But I still don't believe that, even if I had the cash on hand, I would buy one. I feel that there are pistols that are just as good and effective as the M500 for a lot less money, as the M500 is just downright pricy. Secondly, the M500 doesn't offer a lot of flexability that, say, a .454 Casull does. The .454 Casull can be shot with low to mid-powered .45 Colt loads, making trips to the range for practice much less painful on the hand, ears (I forgot to mention that both the .454 and the .500 have A LOT of muzzle blast and noise, with the .500 being by far the worst of the two), and pocketbook. There are also a number of very good .45 Colt loads that are comparable to the .44Mag in power that would make excellent hunting loads without all the recoil and blast. This option simply doesn't exist with the .500S&W. The case capacity is really very large, making reduced loads problematic, which makes shooting full or near full power loads mandatory all the time. And in factory ammo for the .500 there isn't much to choose from, and it's all full tilt and expensive.

So, in summary, if it were me I wouldn't buy the M500 as I don't have the money to feed it enough ammo to get good with it, and I also don't want to only be limited to the hard hitting/kicking loads. Don't underestimate the value of a reduced power option in a hunting handgun. Practicing with .45 Colt makes me a much better shot with .454 Casull. With the .500 you don't have this option.

Mike
Old 07-18-2004, 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I feel that there are pistols that are just as good and effective as the M500 for a lot less money, as the M500 is just downright pricy. Secondly, the M500 doesn't offer a lot of flexability that, say, a .454 Casull does. The .454 Casull can be shot with low to mid-powered .45 Colt loads, making trips to the range for practice much less painful on the hand, ears (I forgot to mention that both the .454 and the .500 have A LOT of muzzle blast and noise, with the .500 being by far the worst of the two), and pocketbook. There are also a number of very good .45 Colt loads that are comparable to the .44Mag in power that would make excellent hunting loads without all the recoil and blast. This option simply doesn't exist with the .500S&W. The case capacity is really very large, making reduced loads problematic, which makes shooting full or near full power loads mandatory all the time. And in factory ammo for the .500 there isn't much to choose from, and it's all full tilt and expensive.

Mike
I disagree, Mike. For one, the 500 is one of those handguns some guys just gotta have, untill they get one. I just picked up a used one, 15 shots fired, at a considerable discount. I think you will see quite a few barely used 500s on the market in the coming days.
Also, there is reduced load data for the S&W 500. Please link to M.D. Smith, 500S&W There are loads there with M.E. under 1200ftlbs. Any straight walled case can be downloaded and Dr. Smith has the data.

Admittedly, the 500 ammo is costly. I saw a box of 12 for $40. I have not and will never buy a box. It cost me about $.55 a round to load, which is still expensive, but not outrageous. When I try reduced loads with a cheaper .50 Beowulf projectile, that should go down to $.25 a pop. The best value in dies is the Lee 3 die set. The sizer is a carbide die, and load data is included, all for $19.95. I am going to replace the lock rings with Hornady lock rings, but other than that the Lee set can't be beat.

Early on, there were some issues to work out with the 500 cartridge. The 500 S&W rounds initialy were loaded with large pistol primers. I wonder about that one. With heavy loads, folks were getting pierced primers. The flame would eat up the firing pin. So then large rifle primers were used. Problem is, the pistol primer pockets were .006" too shallow, and the primers were above flush. Several sympathetic detonations occured. Exciting, I bet! Now Starline brass has primer pockets of the correct depth for rifle primers, and there is an 'R' designation on the case head. Brass with pistol primer pockets may have their pockets deepened .006" using a uniformer, with no loss in case integrity.

Glad they worked all this out, before I got one.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

1mile50,

Thank you for posting the info about reduced loads. I didn't know anyone had worked out safe reduced loads for the 500 yet, but the fact that there exist does make the .500 more appealing. I do like the Model 500's, and if they were priced a little better I'd consider one for sure. A good condition used gun is a definite option, and in te future I might just pick one up.

As a side note, could you please either make the picture you posted (a lot) smaller, or remove it from your post. It is just HUGE and I let it load for almost three minutes and it only loaded enough of the pic for me to see the H110 line on your load label before I stopped the page load. It's just too big for us dial-up users.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 07-18-2004, 07:16 PM

Sorry, Mike. Better?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 AM
bigcountry

I wouldn't mind to have one. I would use it for a primary weapon during gun season instead of a rifle. I think it would be a blast. But until other people jumps on this one, I would get the 454 first. I sometimes handgun hunt with a 44mag. And want a 454, because its more versitile. I can plink, I can hunt, recoil is at my limit also.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Well I just took the plunge tonight....Just had to have one. I get to pick it up Monday night. I probably wont get the chance to put some rounds through it for a couple of weeks though.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:01 PM

I disagree, Mike. For one, the 500 is one of those handguns some guys just gotta have, untill they get one. I just picked up a used one, 15 shots fired, at a considerable discount. I think you will see quite a few barely used 500s on the market in the coming days.
Reminds me of a show I saw, on the History Channel I think. They had a couple of guys at a range demonstrating a bunch of guns. They got to the .44 Magnum. Explained that after Dirty Harry came out everyone just had to have one. They went on to explain that after the first range trip many of the guns went back in the case and were never fired again. Apparently these folks were wholly unprepared for the experience they were going to have.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

They went on to explain that after the first range trip many of the guns went back in the case and were never fired again. Apparently these folks were wholly unprepared for the experience they were going to have.

7/23/2004 11:01:11 PM
And to think, I shoot .45 Colt loaded to .44Mag power levels as reduced power plinking loads as a relief to full tilt .454 Casull!

Mike
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

My wife, she is the best, just got me a BFR in .500 for my birthday. Told the shopowner that she, about 5'4" and maybe 130, was, in fact going to shoot it herself.

I found the recoil to be quite mild, much more so than what I expected for something so big. QUite mild and comparable somewhat to some hot .44 loads I have made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.