Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How much more can a 30.06 do than a ...

Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much more can a 30.06 do than a ...

I have both and for Heavy bullets, 190 and 200-220 I would use the 30-06. For deer I load them both to about 2800 fps with 150 grain bullets. Out to 250 yards I could draw one out of the closet in the dark and be happy with either. For big tough game I reach for the Remington Pump in 30-06. 200 grain Partitions. I still have some 250 grain Barnes Bullets for up close hunting for moose and Bear.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much more can a 30.06 do than a ...

But isn't the 30.06 just a better "all-around" cartridge than the .308win?
Other than a little speed and energy what am I giving up?
Can you folks help me? Thanks,
NO, the .30/'06 is not just a better all-round caliber. It does have a slight advantage over the .308 when bullets of 200 grains or heavier are being used. However, the .308 is slightly more consistently accurate than the '06, and it can be used in a short action rifle allowing a little weight saving over the '06. However, when using bullets of between 130 to 200 grains, there is no game animal in the world that I would hesitate to shoot with the .308 as opposed to the .30/'06, because on game their performance is so identical that no critter could tell the difference! If I thought a particular animal needed a more powerful rifle than a .308, I'd select something more powerful than the .30/'06 also!!