Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Weatherby Mark V Rifles

I have always heard mixed reviews about Weatherby rifles but I have always wanted one. Is it all hype or are they actually good guns?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Weatherby Mark V Rifles

I have owned two mark V's but will not own a third.Both produced accuracy that was not as good as several of my much cheaper 700's despite a great deal of load development.On the other hand the vanguard(made by howa) is a fine rifle for the price..
Old 07-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO they're over priced and not the quality of rifle one might think. Weatherbys are built for profits and not to bring the customer a fine crafted firearm. I'll take a M-70 over a Mark V anyday.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:33 AM

They sell them at walmart, thats all you need to know. I'm not going to open that can of worms again. Just save your money, spend 2x as much as you planned to and have a rifle that shoots more accurately than you can. One that your friends will envy you for. And one that you will be proud to hand down to your son or daughter. Weatherby use to be a fine quality firearm....not any more. I looked at one yesterday when I was picking up my new rifle. The gun store I bought mine at had several w'bys that they could not get rid of. By the way...my new one is a sig-sauer in 7mm mag topped off with a Zeiss diavari v/vm 3-12 x 56. And yes, I am afraid to even touch it! I bought it as an investment....it already went up 98% since I bought it 6 months ago.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bb122
I have always heard mixed reviews about Weatherby rifles but I have always wanted one. Is it all hype or are they actually good guns?
They are good guns. Not "great" by today's standards, but good as most production rifles.

Old Roy used to advertise "Tomorrow's Rifles Today", and that was true! Just look at all the magnums available today, many of which surpass even the daunted performance of the Weatherby lineup! When Weatherby started it all, the only other magnums available commercially in this country were the .300 and .375 H&H! But the new ones are all based on the desire for magnum performance that Weatherby instilled in the consumers.

Back when Roy was introducing his cartridges, there were indeed other designs which would perform as well, but the originators of these did not understand the concepts MARKETING their products. Weatherby did. And, of course, marketing is the ONLY key to success if you are trying to sell something!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

They sell them at walmart, thats all you need to know. I'm not going to open that can of worms again.
Yes, and Win. M70's, Rem. 700's, Ruger No. 1's and M77's are also available at Walmart!! So what??

(I will concede that none of these are as good as your Sig-Sauer, however!)
Old 07-04-2004, 10:37 AM

Weatherby is still one the best, and the most accurate rifles, money can buy. The main reason you will hear people try to downgrade the Weatherby is because they can't afford to buy one of them. The economical Vanguard rifle may not be the quality gun that the Mark V is, won't argue there.

As far as buying them at Wal-mart... Nowadays there aren't many guns that can't be ordered from Wal-mart.

The statement about the SIG. Uhhhhhhh... The Weatherby is made in AMERICA.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:10 AM

I dont want to start an all out war here, but I firmly believe that most of what wally world sells, from guns to clothes, is suspect. What I mean is that if you had something to sell that was not quite up to par....send it to walmart! I really think that a weatherby for instance, would be a better gun if you just bought it from a gun store instead of from wally world. Does this make sense? The mark v just feels cheap to me-the ones at w.m. anyway.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:13 AM

Hey thunder, of all the guns I own, all but one are Fureign made! You want quality in a rifle, you are going to have to go overseas! Sig-sauer, sako, steyr, BROWNING! yes, browning, the best brownings were made overseas, quality and price went down when they started making them in the US.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

the best brownings were made overseas, quality and price went down when they started making them in the US.

Really when did Browning start making guns in the US?

Quick Reply: Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.