Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How is the Marlin 336?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 PM

Default How is the Marlin 336?

I just got done shooting my friends and i was really impressed. I love the action on these guns and they just feel so durable. And for the price of 369.99 at cabelas, you cant beat it. I think cabelas has the 336c model. Anyway i am thinking of suprising my father with one of these considering he doesnt have a lever action. I never owned one either. Are these easy to clean like bolt actions? I just seem a little intimidated by them to disassemble and clean. I cant ask my friend because he is so ignorant he doesnt clean his guns. I know he is a real dummy. I wouldnt mind getting one of these for myself either. This would be a perfect brush gun, i would get them both in the 30-30 win caliber. Considering i hunt in a brushy area this will be perfect. I have a winchester 70 stainless in 270 for when its nasty out, and maybe a new marlin 336c in 30-30. I have to say this board is alot better then shooters forum, i really like it hear!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How is the Marlin 336?

The Marlin 336 is an excelent lever action. I have one myself in 444 Marlin. Taking them apart can be a little intemidating the first time but once you do it once or twice you will see that it is actually very simple to take apart and get back together.

BTW, Welcome aboard. We all like it here too.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great gun, I'm not a huge fan of the .30-30, but only because I'm SUCH a HUGE HUGE fan of the .44mag...the .336 is an awesome rifle, I've got two buddies that bought two at the same time, one shoots MOA to 200yrds and the other is about 1.5MOA at 200yrds, VERY impressive for .30-30's.

One thing I've got to ask, as I'm not really familiar with it, I think bigbulls has the 1895 in .444, unless I missed a production run of the 336 in .444...either way, the 336 and 1895 are the same action, so callin them the same rifle is pretty accurate.

I've got three Marlin 1894's and two 1895's, GREAT guns, really fond of them, I'd sell almost all of my other guns before I got rid of one of them!

I'll agree, Marlins are cake to disassemble....they're not extremely beautiful, but more than enough for me...and they ARE extremely bombproof...Do the Marlin fix and it'll last for several lifetimes!

If you do get one, you should do the "Marlin fix" to it if you're planning on shooting it a lot, it's not a real problem, but after about 2000rnds you might get a jam that requires disassembly of the lever to clear, usually only an issue with Cowboy action shooters who shoot that much in a year's time...the "Marlin fix" can be found on the internet easily, or through the sass wire at www.sassnet.com...basically you're taking the sharp edge off the lever that can wear a groove into the carrier, after a LOT of rounds, if a round feeds not quite right, you'll jam up and the lever will key solid into that groove and you'll have to take out one screw to clear it.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:18 AM

I just plan on using it for deer. So that means maybe shooting it 20-25 times a year. I hope i dont have to do that "Marlin Fix." Did anybody else do that?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My grandpa was a gunsmith and when I (like most boys in the 50's-60's) said that i'd like to own a Winchester lever like the cowboys used he always said " Get a Marlin instead, its a better gun"
I know this may peeve off some Winchester fans, and I don't even know the reasons he said this.but he always maintained that if you HAD to have a lever (he was a bolt man) the Marlin was the one to pick between those 2. Funny, he never mentioned the Brownings
Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 PM

I think it's hard to go wrong with a Marlin 336. There's a reason why they've been in constant production for longer than most of us have been alive.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:41 PM

The Marlin, in my humble opinion, is a much better action for hunting due to the ability to mount a scope directly on top of the receiver. Yes, the newer Winchesters will allow this, but it still is not an optimal setup.
The Marlin action is much stronger of the two as well. I agree, that while the 30-30 has probably killed more deer than any other cartridge, it is marginal for deer. A better caliber would probably be .375 or 38-55. The 444 and 45-70 are a bit much for white tails.
The "marlin fix" really doesn't apply to the 336 or 1895 models. This only is a problem with the 94 models and predominately in pistol caliber guns. Even then, it mostly occurs in guns that have been shot allot, I mean ALLOT! Many cowboy action shooters will shoot their 94s more in a month than a person that only hunts will shoot their guns in a lifetime.
I have a 336 cowboy in 38-55. 30 inch octagon barrel and what a rifle. Have a tang sight and globe front sight. Very accurate out to 250 yards and further. With iron sights a milk jug is easy pickings about as far as you can put the front sight on it.
You won't go wrong with the Marlin.
Ahankster
Old 06-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I've got to ask, as I'm not really familiar with it, I think bigbulls has the 1895 in .444, unless I missed a production run of the 336 in .444...either way, the 336 and 1895 are the same action, so callin them the same rifle is pretty accurate.
Nomercy, mine is the 444s. Identical to the 336 except some of the parts are bigger than in the 336.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.[8D]
Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 PM

Marlin 336 is an excellent deer rifle. Top it off with an inexpensive Weaver 1-3x scope, and you have a great woods outfit. By the way, the 336 is now available in stainless too.
And, no, take down for cleaning is not difficult. First time or two maybe a little, but just follow the instructions in the manual.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one and love it, just remember to use round nosed bullets, no pointed bullets, because they load up against each other and a jolt vould set off the forward round primer.

Quick Reply: How is the Marlin 336?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.