Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning vs Remington .30-06

Old 02-22-2002, 10:15 PM

Default Browning vs Remington .30-06

I am buying my son a new rifle for his 18th birthday, he is a new hunter with limited experience. I am leaning towards a Browning w/Boss or the Remington, what experience or advice would you give between these two rifles?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:45 PM
JiB

Default RE: Browning vs Remington .30-06

khafen,

Sounds like a great present for your son!

I have purchased three Browning A-Bolts in the last three years, 22-250, 243, 300win & have a 300WSM on order for a fourth. Have been very satisified with them all. They have all grouped well & been dependable. Don't have the BOSS on any of mine. While the Brownings are on the expensive side I personally like them more than the Winchester,Ruger, Remmingtons. I may be wrong but I don't think after market triggers are available for the Brownings. They do have a decent, adjustable trigger from the factory. While I have never needed it, Browning has a bad rep reguarding warrenty issues. They seem to ship parts quickly but any actual warrenty work is very slow.

My experience with Remmingtons is rather limited. What I have been reading on the messages boards is that at one time they were excelent rifles, but now seem to have some problems with quailty/workmanship issues. Lots of guys are still buying Remmington & perfectly happy. If your intrested I can give you a link to some of the Remmington issues I've seen.

Good luck with your decision, JiB
Old 02-23-2002, 06:50 AM

JiB - Thanks for the reply, I would be interested in taking a look at the links you mentioned.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Khafen welcome to the board,To answer you question . Browning and Remington are both good rifles. Remington's quality has been slipping over the last few years.Depending on how much you have or want to spend.Of the two makes I would choose the Browning over the Remington.With the Boss you get allot more noise and muzzle blast.You would have to decide how important the Boss is to you.I have a Ruger 77 and have been real happy with it so far.That would be another rifle to check out before buying.Your son's 18th Birthday Hummmm? Do you want to adopt another son?I could use a new Browning for my 49th BD. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-23-2002, 08:38 PM
JiB

khafen, since you asked, here are some links to discussions reguarding problems with Remmington rifles..

http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/forum.shtml

http://forums.huntseek.net/ubbhtml/F...ML/000701.html

http://www.huntingbbs.com/forum/topi...rum_Title=Guns

http://www.huntingbbs.com/forum/topi...rum_Title=Guns

http://www.huntingbbs.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=62340

I was target shooting with a friend today, the safety on his rifle self distructed right before my eyes. We were on the ground grazing like cattle looking for the pieces. The rifle? a new factory 700VS.

I know lots of guys like the 700's as I posted earlier most of em are just fine. They do tend to be accurate, a lot of serious shooters use them as the basis of custom rifles.

JiB
Old 02-23-2002, 08:46 PM
JiB

don't know what I did wrong with the first Coyote Gods link...

After clicking on the link, go to Firearms And Other Weapons, then scrool down to 2/8/02 & click on the post "big green??? or big green weenie??????"
Old 02-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Host of Hosts

Both are good rifles, flip a coin.