Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Toughest Scopes

Old 06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
bigcountry

Default Toughest Scopes

Anyone read John Barshness's article in Rifle magizine evaluating the toughest scopes from various gun makers? Good article.

Basically gave Leupold all the glory on extremely hard kickers. And goes on suggesting that Euro optics are great on 338 and below. But can't stand up too well to a 458lott.

Old 06-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Toughest Scopes

Have not read the magazine for quite some time. Could you elaborate more on the article? Not wanting to bash Leupold or anything, just would like to know more about what the writers said.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:30 PM
bigcountry

Well, I guess he interviewed three or four of the nations big custom gun makers. Most of these guys make hard recoilers. They said they only put on the expensive Euro glass and Leupolds. And some voiced that leupold 1.5-5 seems to be the toughest on big guns like the 375HH. Leupold also said "supposely", that the 458Lott produced the fastest recoiling velocity they ever measured, but not the overall worst recoil which was the 460 weatherby. Leupold said they couldn't make a varible scope to withstand that for long period of time. Maybe a fixed. Alot of praise for VarX III 1.5-5. Some makers said that some super Euro glass, would do fine on a 30-06, but couldn't stand up to 375HH.

I agree with them, for the most part. John B also meantioned, that didn't mean a bushnell or weaver couldn't be reliable, and you might get one that lasts a lifetime. None of the custome guys mounted lower expense scopes.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot leupold scopes and love them I just got the new LPS on my 338 Ultra Mag and it works great.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did the article say anything about handgun scopes for the heavy kicking hunting revolvers (.454 Casull, .500S&W, etc...)? I'm looking at investing in a 2x or 4x scope for my Ruger SRH .454 Casull, but since I have a baby on the way I've got to find something under $200. I worry that with the slightly less expensive (but not the super cheap) scopes won't handle repeated firings from the .454 Casull. My load is going to be a 240gr. XTP-Mag, 32-33.6gr of 2400 at about 1750fps, which recoils both hard and fast.

Mike
Old 06-15-2004, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

Nope, never mentioned anything about handguns.

One thing it did mention, is all the custom makers said, there maybe real good scopes out there like the Bushnell Elite or Weaver, but they never try them cause nobody asks.

John Barsh, always has like the Elites and some weavers.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read the article and agree with him on just about everything. I think Leupold definitely is a good scope on heavy recoiling rifles. I personally feel that Leupolds quality has gone downhill lately and I am basing this on hearsay and not my own personal experience. I have not bought a new Leupold in years. He also says little about Zeiss Conquests which are a really good scope and which I own. He does mention in there that Kenny Jarrett says Swarovski scopes are the best and Leupolds are the best value. I have no problem with someone that says Swarovski is the best because quite frankly their 1" models are the best 1" optics made anywhere. On the other hand they also cost double what a corresponding Leupold would. Mr Jarrett also happens to be a Swarovski dealer and has built a few rifles for higher ups in Swarovski both president and sales managers so I think he is a bit biased IMHO just look at his website www.jarrettrifles.com and see what he features. He is also to my knowledge the only gunbuilder that has come out with a statement like that most recommend Leupold. Mr Barsness as well is rather biased when it comes to Leupold . Who to believe ?.. well since there are no consumer reports concerning Riflescopes you pay your money and hope for the best. I have had zip problems with most scopes I have purchased(with exception of Burro I mean Burris ) and one Bushnell that crapped out on a mighty 308 Sako but I usually purchase only upper middle to higher grade optics. I also have 2 simmons scopes mounted on Rimfires which are really good scopes and a great value for the money. I have also witnessed members at my gun range shoot 338 win mags with Tascos mounted on them and not one bit of problem although I couldn't believe my own eyes but yes they are thoroughly satisfied with that brand.